Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

bout to buy, please advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 12:00 AM
Default bout to buy, please advise

ok well, this will be my first porsche. lemme get through some details here. im 19, i have a fulltime stable job, and im college. this will be my daily driver. now car details. this will be my first porsche and i really dont know anything about them, well much anyways, but im mechanically inclined, and i tend to do most work myself, even major. with that all said, the car is a beauty. an 84 944, with only 70K on it. shes red with the black 5 spoke wheels i believe. i drove it today, and it felt very nice. clutch didnt slip, everything was very intact, except the average wear for a 20 year old car. gears felt very strong, as did the entire drive train. the ac was very cold. the car is driven probly around 200 miles a month, and thats about it. hes asking 2900 but im confident i can get him to 2500 bucks. any things i should be looking for besides the obvious? what are the "porsche" problems with this car? im VERY VERY scared to buy this, but its too good to pass up. even my step father who is very conservative when it comes to things like this told me who cares because it would only be a $2500 mistake. and he NEVER says stuff like this. i need some replies fast guys, im nervous , and i think other people are looking as well. only work is eventually a new paint job, and seats recovered, thats about it. also she is not as fast as i imagined, but it only has like 150HP and it wieghs in at like 34-3700 something, so i guess thats why. ok thanks again guys. all help is much appreciated

Old 08-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Default RE: bout to buy, please advise

Check out the fuel pump. Had that problem with my first one. Did they shift to synthetic? If not think about doing that yourself. It is hard to judge how the car is going to be when it is 20 years old. But for $2500 you can't go wrong. Even if it is a problem, you can sell the parts and still make the money back. Seats, Engine, Tranny are all things that people are looking for. So I say go for it. I am going to go get myself another one in a couple of days, it has 65K mi. I say go for it. Little mechanical things can be fixed, if you have major electrical problems that may cost you. But they are great cars.

Old 10-21-2004, 03:16 AM

ORIGINAL: astral_tx

and it wieghs in at like 34-3700 something
CANT be that much!! come on man! more like 3,000lbs...give or take

Old 11-25-2004, 03:29 AM
ZOD

I'm new the this forum but have owned 2 944s. I like the 1985.5 models much better that the earlier 944s - I think the interiors look and feel nicer. By 1987 the engines got noticeably stronger. The earlier cars are generally cheaper. I would look at the maintenance records. I would also have the car checked over by a mechanic. Look for any obvious impact damage - one easy way is to check wheel wells (they are plastic) - if they are broken or missing ask why. If you get the car do all of the required maintenance. ESPECIALLY the timing belt. If it breaks you have just double the price of the car. Hope that helps.

Old 12-12-2004, 01:05 AM

its 2675 lbs. not that its that important. good luck with it.

Old 12-17-2004, 08:28 PM

Hi,

This may be out of topic a bit but anywayz,

I'm 19 and am buying a 1984 this summer...i absolutely love 944's but i have to admit i'm not a big fan of the rubber fenders on the earlier models (you know those rubber things on the edge of 944's front bumpers). Now, I'm rather new to porsches and cars in general but i was just wondering if those can be removed (most likely right) and if so, what is underneath and will it make a difference on the car?...oh yeah, and how do you do it?

thanks for the help...

Old 12-17-2004, 09:41 PM
ZOD

Buy an 87 or 88 944 they have a bit more stock HP and cost just about as much. Any 944 after 1985.5 has a much nicer interior and many other little upgrades. If you can find an 89 944 go for it (they have a 2.7 liter engine). The black rubber guards on the front of the car just bolt onto the bumper - some Bondo to fill the holes is all you'll need. Unscrew the bumper from the energy absorbers (the holes under the bumper are where it is attached) and pull it out. Unplug the lights and pull it the rest of the way from the car. You just unscrew the bumper-pads from the back of the bumper. The ones on the back are bolted in along with the little plastic side trim pieces and will take more body filling work. The process for removal is similar.

If someone rear ends you like this you are in for a much expensive repaint of your bumper. Those little pads can take quite a hit. The turbo's solid plastic bumper will flex but the rigid one on the NA 944 won't so the paint will chip scratch and etc. Besides they don't look too bad. I kinda ike them.

Old 12-18-2004, 01:01 AM
ZOD

I might also consider the 1983 model. The car was actually introduced in Europe in 81 but 83 is the "original" year for the 944 in the USA. Like I said I like the later models but some people prefer that sort of thing. As for pure speed the 924 got a 944 engine in 1986. Those cars are lighter than stock 944s. I don't like the body style as much. Your Turbos and 944 S models have the single piece bumpers that you like. They are also faster than the other models - and their price reflects this.

Old 12-23-2004, 04:03 PM

My best advice would be to find a different forum to ask your questions.

While there are some people here who know what they are talking about, there are plenty who don't. It would suck for you to get some bad advice since these cars can get really expensive really quickly if things suddenly go south.

BB.

Old 12-23-2004, 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: BeerBurner

My best advice would be to find a different forum to ask your questions.

While there are some people here who know what they are talking about, there are plenty who don't. It would suck for you to get some bad advice since these cars can get really expensive really quickly if things suddenly go south.

BB.
Ouch baby. ouch. [sm=icon_ladiesman.gif][sm=vader.gif]

Quick Reply: bout to buy, please advise