Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Bragging about my car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Default Bragging about my car...

In the absence of any tech question that need answering here recently, I thought I would take the opportunity to brag about a recent acquistion for the Gen'l Lee, a set of M030 spindles, hubs and brake calipers. I am stoked about this, since they are fairly hard to come by. Once I have them installed, it will give me a 100% new front end suspension.

I should have just dropped the engine when I started this project, it would have been a lot easier. Now, the only thing on the car that won't be 100% new will be the lower end internals and clutch, as I put a fresh and slightly modded 951S head on the engine when I did the head gasket. Its got all new front engine seals and rollers, new radiator and hoses, new vacuum lines, new struts and shocks (Bilstein homebrew Firehawk set up) 968 M030 swaybars and caster mounts, all new brakes (with the aforementioned S4's now!) new turbo, new fuel pump, adj FPR, fuel lines and 65# injectors, new MAF and Vitesse chips, new 3" exhaust, Fikse 17" (8" front, 10" rear) wheels which will get new rubber once I decide what I want to run, new Rennbay sport seat covers on the early sport seats (no power, saves a BUNCH of weight) and a newly rebuilt 88S LSD tranny being shipped to me right now. I am also redoing my authentic Turbo Cup hood to complete the package. I don't even want to guess how much money this has cost...

My goal is to have a quick spooling 300rwhp car at 15psi on pump gas. Oh, and the car should weigh around 2900 lbs, I have done a fair amount of weight removal.

Anyone else want to brag about their car, feel free to add to this post. No bs about nonexistent SC's, 400hp 100 shot NOS NA's tho, okay? Lets keep it real.

Regards,

Old 02-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Default RE: Bragging about my car...

Sounds good! You have all the power I'm looking to get. Is your's a track car? I just picked up another P-car that's just getting started for track duty. I have lotsa parts sitting, inbound, and some installed. Loosing quite a bit of weight myself!

Lincoln

Old 02-11-2005, 09:48 PM

The Gen'l Lee is my "hot rod". Its a street/DE car. The story behind the car and name is that I bought the car from a guy in California. After an extended period of time, I got a call from the guy with "good news/bad news". uh oh. The good news was the transport company I had contracted to pick the car up (about a month earlier!) FINALLY picked up the car. The bad news... to quote Matt, "Did you ever see th eopening scene on the TV show "the Dukes of Hazzard"? When I finally got the car (thats another story, as they ditched the car in an abandoned lot when they realized how badly damaged it was) and settled up with the insurance company, I was looking at a car that needed to be competely rebuilt. One of the guys in the KCWS heard the story and started calling the car "the Gen'l Lee" and the name stuck. I now have a dixie horn and a confederate flag sunroof for it.

Regards,

Old 02-11-2005, 10:08 PM

2003 WRX with Turbo XS TMIC, Injen CAI, STI injectors/Walbro pump, Fidanza 9.5pd flywheel, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Perrin turbo inlet, Perrin catch can, Perrin up-pipe, Perrin down pipe- flanges were smoothed out where I.D. meets flange- got the edges off, Perrin crank & alternator pulleys, Greddy catback exhaust, Kartboy shifter & bushings, Kart-boy exhaust hangers, HKS blow off valve, IHI VF22 Turbo (polished, knife-edged, reground housings), DNA boost controller, throttle-body was polished and knife-edged, tumble generator valves removed -- housings polished- got rid of machining lines, Prodrive springs, Hotchkis Frt & Rr endlinks and adjustable swaybars, 5Zigen 17" Super6 Wheels, Falken Azenis Sport tires, Wilwood 6 POT frt brakes / 12.9" slotted rotors /steel brake lines, Wilwood 4 POT rr brakes / 12.9" slotted rotors /steel brake lines, Fog lights removed in favor of 4" dia air ducts through front wheel wells to cool brakes, STI hood scoop & painted side skirts, Vishnu Xede stand alone engine management Autometer boost, A/F, Oil Pressure, EGT guages & pods, Onboard IBM ThinkPad T-30 P4 notebook w /GPS, stereo interface, highspeed wireless internet access - and of course X-Map software, Alpine/Boston Accoustic stereo system run through stock CD player with Satellite Radio receiver, roll cage, 5 point harnesses, coil over system, STI long block, 'dog box' transmission.

sweeeeeeeeeet

Old 02-11-2005, 11:13 PM

Good f'in gawd... you have got me beat in the money spending department. Got a dyno sheet on it? I know nothing about subi's, whats the estimated hp and weight?

Regards,

Old 02-13-2005, 10:28 PM

I'll try and scan the dyno chart this week. Weighs about 3100 lb

Here is interior shot from before rollcage installation

Old 02-15-2005, 01:21 PM

LOL, I love posts like this instead of heated arguments about non-existant mods and egos. Great suggestion to break up the monotony of tech discussions and still keep the posts on-topic, Scott!

My car started out like this 4 years ago:

But now looks like this:

Not to mention the suspsension/engine/trans/brakes/etc other things you can't see that I have done to it. It weighs in at 2530lbs with no spare tire/tools and 1/2 tank of gas.

Some 16X9 930 Fuchs are going on the rear as soon as I order tires, and the 16X8 951 Fuchs (that are on the rear) are moving to the front of the car. I have a "few" other sets of wheels for it as well that it occasionally wears depending on the role it is playing (DE/Autox/Show).

Take care!

J.

Old 02-15-2005, 06:14 PM

How did you get the weight down so far? Thats light for a car with an interior in it. You are still running those Corbeaus I sold you, right? Thats some weightloss there, those were very light seats. No AC, I presume? What else? I really like the Series I cars, they are a LOT more fun to drive, especially when you tweak the suspension slightly and lose weight. Your car must be an absolute gas. The only change I would make would be to paint the Fuchs black again, but thats just a personal preference.

Glad to see you here, Jeremy, you are sorely missed on Rennlist, but I understand. The signal to noise ratio can be a bit tiring after a while, and I don't envy John D and Pete in the least, trying to reign in the madness there.

Regards,

Old 02-15-2005, 06:54 PM

Howdie Scott!

Yep, those are your Corbeau's. Those were good for a good bit of weight loss (almost 80lbs).

The car came from the factory fairly low spec: No power locks, no cruise, no rear wiper. I have since done the AC Delete with Luke's custom alu bracket (almost 40lbs total loss), and installed a manual rack from an 83 (ala the cup cars, just over 20lbs saved there). The mirrors are manual 968 Clubsport units (almost a 9lb savings believe it or not, those flag mirrors and wiring are heavy). Rear seat and cover have been removed (30lbs), along with the rear hatch release (manual by cable ala the 968 Clubsport, good for 3lbs savings). The euro rear bumper and euro shocks was almost a 40lb reduction right there. The front 951 nose is actually 18lbs lighter than the N/A nose and bumper bits. Other non-needed bits have been taken out here and there, but the car is still very street-able. It would be lighter if I didn't put on those honkin' big brake calipers and the roll bar.

I hear ya on the red fuchs. Some days I love them, other days I think I want them to be black or silver. But I like being "different". I actually like the look of polished fuchs (inners and lips), but I think they look pimpy on 944's for some reason, but just right on 911's. My new 16x9's are already painted red and just waiting on tires.

Take care,

Jeremy

Old 02-15-2005, 11:47 PM

You should look into early model sport seats, they are remarkably light altho they won't be as good at an auto-x. I put a set in my '84 944 as well as a set in the Gen'l Lee, I am guessing they weigh no more than about 22lbs each, are adjustable, are TUV'd and are very comfortable. For some reason, I keep finding sets of the early one cheap. Everyone pays big bucks for the late model ones that weigh a ton, go figure. lol

Regards,

Quick Reply: Bragging about my car...