Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

CV Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Default CV Issue

Okay, so after the wheel bearing issue curiosity got the best of me and I decided to tear down the CV joints on the drive axle. A damn good thing I did too! Apparently grease isn't supposed to glitter. The grease looked as if it had been scatter with mica flakes; in reality small pieces of metal that had fractured off of the bearing itself were floating freely inside the CV joint. I removed both and cleaned them up for reinstallation. Well it seems everything is physically fine on the outer CV. But the inner (the bearing bolt-up to the differential) CV's inner race seems to be scored slightly. I need to replace just the inner race, but every parts retailer I have contacted only sells the entire bearing assembly. Does anyone know where I can find JUST the inner race?
(Images below

Also the outer CV's bearing latter holds tight on only 4 out of the 6 bearing *****. They snap in but easily pop out. Nether the bearing housing nor the ***** them selves are scored at all so this shouldn't affect anything once the assembled. But it seems like an issue. Has anyone else seen before?
(Video of the problem)

Old 02-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Default RE: CV Issue

You are right, grease is not supposed to glitter.

I suppose some really cool pun based on "All that glitters is not gold" is in order here, but I spent all day in airports trying to get somewhere I never got to, so . . .

glad you found the problem early on. could have been bad.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

You are right, grease is not supposed to glitter.
[8D]

This fixes half of the problem, now I need parts.
Pelican wants $91 for the CV assembly with boot, and I just want to replace the Race. Or is that just not going to happen?

Old 02-15-2006, 12:20 AM

I know my local auto parts store just has the assembly with the boot. Maybe you can find the Race on ebay? Good luck.

Old 02-15-2006, 02:38 PM

[sm=outcold.gif]So I have just about everything done. I broke down and ordered 4 brand new CV joints w/ boot from Pelican (should be here in a couple of days :up: ) along with some other goodies. And just as I am reinstalling the wheel hubs I look at the torque specs in the Haynus manual (yes I know not to trust the damn thing but it seemed worth the humor in a glance) and it says to tighten the outer lock nut to 340 ft/lbs. O.o
If that’s the case what is the purpose behind the cotter pin? This sounds bogus to me. What are the REAL torque specs?