Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

different piston faces?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Default RE: different piston faces?

Well, I am more than confused right now. The piston that I bought (with the oval dish in it) is from an '84 944. As far as I know, there were no turbo models until 1986. Porsche produced a couple of hundred turbos in 85, right?

So, these pistons should be for a N/A car.

Doc, are you positive that the pistons with theoval dish is for turbos? You don't have a turbo piston picture by any chance, do you?

Any ideaswill be appreciated.

Thank you all,

porsche_lover

Old 12-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

These are turbo pistons, and yes I am positive, lol. They were not used in the NA cars. If these are what you have, you can not use them. And no, there were no turbos in 84. If this is what you got, and they said it was from an 84 motor, then they were wrong, and didn't know what they were selling.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Is the piston you gave a picture of what was in your motor, or what you received from the seller.

Also, is your car a euro, or US/Canada/Japan spec car?

The picture you posted looks like a 2.7L piston (though it would measure 104mm), unless the car is a euro (which used a similar piston, but 100mm).......

The US NA has the 2 valve cutouts, and a round indentation, similar to the turbo pistons above (only round, not oval)

Old 12-19-2008, 09:58 AM

Dear Doc,

First of all, thank you for your help.

Thepicture belonged to theoriginal piston that I intend to replace.And yes, the car is a Euro spec car.

Piston's diameter is 100mm and the car has an 2479 cc non-turbo engine producing 163 hp.

Tomorrow, I'll try to upload the picture of the pistons that I received from the seller. And they sure aredifferent.

The sellersays that he never had a 944 turbo. So...

Talk you soon,

porsche_lover

Old 12-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

I bet you received US spec 944 NA pistons, but will be able to confirm with a picture. You really want to find a set of Euro pistons, because the compression is higher with those pistons, which is why the euro motor makes more hp. 10.9:1 ratio, where as the US version is something like 9.5:1

Old 12-19-2008, 02:48 PM

hello Doc,

Yes, it seems so... Following picture is from pelicanparts forum. They say that a Euro piston is like this:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1140618484.jpg

It sure is like mine... So, do you think I can find one? Do you a set to sell?

And why do Americans not use these pistons? Some kind of octane problem?

Will I certainly lose hp when I replace American pistons, although I still use 100 octane?

Cheers,

porsche_lover

Old 12-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, that picture is like yours and is a euro piston if it measures 100mm.

You don't want to install US spec pistons, you will be going the wrong way in terms of HP, even running higher octane. The change in octane really does nothing if you can't change the cam timing, which isn't possible without modifications and tuning. People think they pick up hp when they us 100 octane versus 91, and that just isn't the case without other changes to the system.

The US versions were lower compression due to the requirement of having a catalytic converter, and lower octane availability in the US. In 1988, the compression was bumped up to near the euro spec.

As far as where to find some, I would watch the UK version of ebay and see if you can find a good used set. We don't see euro pistons here in the US much (in the 944 line anyway).

Old 12-19-2008, 03:55 PM

I see... I'll look for them then.

And the late 944 euro pistons wont work, right?

http://www.dartauto.com/1988-944-eur...021-p-637.html

Can't I go with an OEM piston? Or some other brand will do the trick, do you think?

It seems impossible to find a euro piston

Cheers,

porsche_lover

Old 12-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: porsche_lover

I see... I'll look for them then.

And the late 944 euro pistons wont work, right?

http://www.dartauto.com/1988-944-eur...021-p-637.html

Can't I go with an OEM piston? Or some other brand will do the trick, do you think?

It seems impossible to find a euro piston

Cheers,

porsche_lover
You could probably get away with the pistons shown from DART, as the compression would be close.

I have to ask though, why are you rebuilding the NA motor? Why not just find a wrecked car with a good motor in it and do the transplant. You can go through a lot of used motors for the price of a rebuild. I have to believe that if the piston skirts are damaged, that the cylinder walls can't be in the greatest shape either, meaning machine work to the alusil block ($$$). Seems like a lot of money to dump into an 944NA. For the price of those pistons from Dart, you could buy a good used motor.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:14 PM

Yes, I hear you.

Well, the thing is I live in Istanbul, Turkey.

First of all, because of the taxes, car prices are way too high, compared to the States.

And it's illegal to import an engine only.

And I'm a 944 fan.

And I have changed the cylinder head, crank shaft, valves, all the bearings and the whatnots of the engine already

And as far as I know, there are only eight or nine 944's here in Turkey.

Well, this came out to be a project car. I bought 63 items from eBay over the last 9 months. I'm having fun with it.

And yes, I'm a fool, I have spent thousands of dollars but even if I bought another 944 here in Turkey I would have spent thousand of dollars again to have a good one.

I'll also pay 3 grands for the body work and the paint.

Another grand for the interior department

But then, hopefully I'll say "Don't touch to my car!"

Still, at 01:13am I'm looking at www.eBay.de to find euro spec pistons and I don't speak German at all!

But I learned that they call it "Kolben"

lol.

porsche_lover

Quick Reply: different piston faces?