Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Engine Running Real Hot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Default Engine Running Real Hot?

ive Noticed my Engine runs super hot and real fast even after ive parked in the garage hours later its still boiling hot i tried using helix high performance oil 25w 70? from memory it promotes to have cooling agent in it also flushed radiator and installed a top quality coolant took off the airfilter to see if it would get a better airflow but all in all so far ive failed to make any diffrents in engine temp (on a up note shes going harder now

it sits half way after ten minutes of just idle or as u get down the end of the street then it shoots up to three quaters and if u give it a bit it goes in the red

Need Help Bad Much respect to anyone with good advice

Old 04-21-2005, 07:14 AM
Default Hmmm Kinda was real impressed today

Ok haha even thoe it was rainning today it ran on a quater (on the temp gauge)for quite awhile haha but i kinda umm forgot to put the radiator cap on fully after checking the level last night ( the shame the shame of it all ) i felt like such a fool but ill never make any mistake like this again

anyway it shot up to full red after 30 n hour n lucky i was near home so when i pulled into the garage poped the hood n oh man steam n spay every where it was a lil scary she looked like pipes or the cap was going to blow off lost heap of coolant to she was a lil dry by the end of it all ( the shame the shame of it all )

anyone got advice on getting a engine to run more cooler or advice on how stupid ive been please get back to us "Much respect"

Old 05-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Default RE: Hmmm Kinda was real impressed today

low temp thermal switch and thermostat.

my old '84/944 ran on the 1st line all the time.

Old 05-06-2005, 02:22 PM
ZOD

Did you bleed the system completely? Even if everything is is in perfect working order your car will run hot if you don't bleed the cooling system. Are your cooling fans kicking in? If your engine is running hot they should stay on long after you turn the engine off. If they aren't you may have a faulty thermo-fan switch.

I wouldn't buy the lower temperature thermo-fan switch or thermostat. I know that lots of people swear by them but if you car is running hot there is a reason and having the fan kick in too early won't fix it. I drove my 944 (with a stock cooling system) pretty hard in New Mexico during some very hot summers with no overheating.

If your car is pre 85.5 the needle on your gauge should be between the first two marks on a normal day in normal traffic. On a really hot day and/or really bad traffic the needle will be between the second and third marks (maybe just a bit past the third mark). On late model 944s the needle should be between the middle two marks, It will go all the way to the second mark On a really hot day and/or in really bad traffic. Anyway the car should run at 80 - 90 degrees Celsius and not more than 100 degrees C.

Old 05-10-2005, 02:47 PM

First, I'd do a compression test to see if you've blown the headgasket. Which you may have, by running it hot. Assuming that you do not have any headgasket issues, first STOP driving it then find out why it's overheating. Start by checking the fan motors, if you power them directly, will they run? Check the temp switch, it should turn the fans on when the water reaches 195 degrees. If the fans run, and the switch turns them on, then you probably have a thermostat problem. If it is not opening, the car will heat up too quickly because the water is not going to the radiator. Most thermostats open at 195, to allow water to circulate to the radiator, which cools the water. When the water in the radiator is above 195 as it returns to the car, the fans turn on to help the radiator work more efficiently.