Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 944 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-944-9/)
-   -   Exhaust Stud Lineup (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-944-9/exhaust-stud-lineup-3987/)

tarheel24 08-12-2007 07:18 PM

Exhaust Stud Lineup

I have the new head on the block and all fasteners are torqued. The exhaust studs are screwed into the head. The exhaust header however, will not lineup with the studs. I can manipulate the header to line up each stud with the mounting hole in the exhaust header, however it will not slide on. The exhaust header is not currently detached from the exhaust system... does anyone have any tricks for getting the header to cooperate? Or must I disconnect the header from the exhaust system? Will that even help, I don't see that offering enough play to solve my problem... rather just creating more work that I would rather avoid.

If you need pics tell me, and I shall post some.

PorscheDoc 08-13-2007 07:43 AM

RE: Exhaust Stud Lineup

Disconnect the header from the exhaust system. You will go insane trying to make that line up with the rest of the exhaust tight. Get the header started on all the studs, put the nuts on loosely just to hold the header there, and then put your 6 bolts in the holes at the other end to make sure those are lined up.

It all has to be done slowly together, or you will never get it lined up...at either end.

tarheel24 08-13-2007 07:56 AM

Thanks PorscheDoc, I'll try to get that done today. Let you know how it goes.

tarheel24 08-20-2007 06:40 PM

exhaust and head are mounted and flush. time to put the camshaft back on, so, two things... I am told that I am to line up the mark on the camshaft sprocket with a mark in the distributor housing... (and the factory service manual says something about 10 degrees off of TDC which thoroughly confused me... Im an Econ and Business Major not a Mechanical Engineer!!! so basically, I need that part spelled out because i dont feel like killing the car again.)

And also, 3 of the valve lifters won't budge. All others move up and down when the camshaft rotates, but these three are nearly all the way out (so far so that the camshaft does not reach them at any point during its rotation) and they will not slide in or out. What to do?

tarheel24 08-20-2007 07:57 PM

http://inlinethumb41.webshots.com/94...600x600Q85.jpg

tarheel24 08-20-2007 08:08 PM

btw, wrong terminology, theyre not lifters... lol sorry.

PorscheDoc 08-20-2007 08:34 PM

Lol, yea, actually they are lifters. Hydraulic lifters. They are probably just cocked in sideways sightly. You should be able to wiggle them enough that they pop out. A rubber mallet may help (TAP slightly sideways to try and straighten them in the housing, then they will come out). When you put the cam on, the #1 cylinder needs to be one TDC (lined up with the OT mark), then place the cam housing on, with the mark on the cam gear lined up on the distributor housing mark. Once you get the belt installed, you will check the tension at 10 degrees before after TDC (to the left of the mark), which is about 1 and a half teeth.

tarheel24 08-20-2007 08:49 PM

did exactly as you said to do, and they came right out. thank you much Porschedoc. I am in the process of putting the cam on now.

again, thank you so much.

tarheel24 08-21-2007 09:53 AM

When I put the camshaft on, and turned it to the mark, my friend reasoned that because the cam turns at a 2:1 ration with the Crank that I need to make sure that the camshaft is opening the proper valves at TDC. And that, just because the cam is at the mark doesnt mean that the cam is opening the right valves. (He reasons that when the cam reaches the mark there are 2 different results, as though the full range of the cam is not one rotation, but two)
I reasoned that when the camshaft reaches the mark, the same valves will always be open because its a fixed point on a full 360 circle.

Which one of us is right?

PorscheDoc 08-21-2007 05:35 PM

Lol, you freind should be quite and just watch :) If the cam is at the mark, the correct valves HAVE to be open, it is a fixed system. IE, the cam pulley is fixed to the cam itself and can not move, and the lobes will always be in the correct position that they need to be in relation to the head itself.

The crank turns 2 turns for every 1 turn of the cam, not vise versa. When the cam mark lines up with the distributor housing, the correct valves are open. If you turn the crank 360 degrees, your cam mark is going to be 180 degrees off the dist. housing mark. If you turn the crank another 360 degrees, your cam mark will come back to being lined up at the dist. housing. To tension the belt properly, you need to rotate the crank 2 full revolutions, then turn it counter clockwise 1 and a half teeth and tension the belt. Also verify that when your cam mark is lined up with the dist housing, that your OT mark is in the correct spot.

willard3 08-22-2007 09:25 AM

[hr]They are called cam followers and not lifters.

Don't want to bore you with machine terminology, but that's what they are, cam followers

tarheel24 08-22-2007 10:40 AM

cam followers.... well, i learned something today haha. thanks willard

hey PorscheDoc... I have finally finished. And, I was so excited... until I turned the key. The engine cranks, all the belts seem to rotate fine, and you can hear it roar (so I know I have spark and fuel) and then it simpy cuts out. And it did this all last night, and I finally gave in and went to sleep. So, I am back at it this morning, but if you have any suggestions, I would be much obliged.

For reference the car hasn't been running since... January or February.

tarheel24 08-22-2007 08:03 PM

update: Car turns over and engine runs. It will run as long as I keep the RPMs high. If I let the car idle it stalls everytime almost instantly. I'm told that this is the result of air in the fuel line, and that I should continue running the car and eventually the air will be forced out. Am I right to continue doing this? I'm quite excited about actually getting this far, but, I truly do not wish to do something stupid and screw up everythying I have already done...

for reference, the largest task I had ever done prior to this was changing brakes.....

tarheel24 08-22-2007 10:13 PM

another update: Car backfires at low rpm. Also, believe the car may perhaps be running rich.... what the heck is going on!?!?!?!?!?!!?!? ARGH!!! If you can't tell I am quite frustrated currently.

tarheel24 08-22-2007 10:14 PM

Also, when the car backfires at low rpm it also stalls and dies...

PorscheDoc 08-23-2007 11:31 AM

Lol, it has absoultely nothing to do with air in the fuel lines, lol. Sounds to me like a big intake leak. Did you remember to connect your AFM plug? Is your intake manifold on tight? Did you install the gasket on the #1 header opposite of the other 3 (it actually goes on upside down so it does not block the injector from firing fuel into the cylinder). Are you timing marks lined up perfectly? Ie, OT and the dist. housing mark.

tarheel24 08-23-2007 01:14 PM

the intake manifold is on tight... but i will remove it and then reseat it and tighten it. the gasket on the #1 cylinder is right, i made sure that the hole had room for the injector and did not impede the flow of air or fuel (and yes it is upside down...). When I last checked the timing was right, but I shall check again. My vaccuum lines are wrong, I am certain of this but I am re-routing them with the chart from clarks-garage. My friend and his father suggest that my timing is advanced... could this be a possibility? I know he has been wrong before, but he is often right about these things, and his father.. is an engineer... and an absolute genius lol. He suggested that my distributor cap was possibly on wrong, but I don't know how tht could be possible...nor how that would cause the problems I am having...

PorscheDoc 08-23-2007 01:31 PM

The distributor cap can only seat flush in the correct direction, so that should be on properly. The plug wires should be 4 2
3 1 as you look at the cap from the front.

The only way the timing could be advanced or retarded is if the timing belt is say a tooth off, which is always possible, so make sure to check your marks very closely.

tarheel24 08-23-2007 01:56 PM

I will certainly do that. Thanks Porschedoc. I am sooooooooooo frustrated haha I need this car done by monday... I have classes on tuesday!!!

tarheel24 08-23-2007 02:36 PM

I checked my marks, I am slightly off. I can see OT in the housing, but the top of OT is slightly obscured from view by the bar that the mark is supposed to line up with. The cam mark is perfectly lined up. To bring the mark down to the bar, I believe I need to turn i enough for two teeth perhaps. Either way this looks to be much easier than anything else I have yet encountered. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

PorscheDoc 08-23-2007 04:03 PM

Once you change the position of the belt, just make sure to rotate the crank at least 2x, to make sure everything rotates freely. I like to turn it 2x and check the marks, then another 2x and check the marks just to make sure.

tarheel24 08-23-2007 06:48 PM

I have tried multiple times to do this properly... I am running out of patience, and am contemplating blowing it up.... My marks seem to be aligned perfectly, yet the car just will not cooperate. It does not stay running. It will only roar and die. What else could I be overlooking? My timing seemingly HAS to be perfect.

tarheel24 08-23-2007 07:53 PM

After running another 239382938 trials, it seems that I must not be doing something right. I have the marks lined up properly, and after a full two revolutions, the marks are off by a few teeth.... am I not tensioning the belt enough? The tension reading tool that I am using isnt exactly the most clear.... Occassionally, when the flywheel lock is in place, the camshaft moves when I tension the belt. If the flywheel lock is in place the crank almost always rotates when I tension the belt. So, that in itself has been a struggle.

kinderrich 08-23-2007 10:19 PM

Check the teeth on the inside of the belt and make sure they are still all there. When the belt is tensioned right it should only twist about 3/4 of a turn with your fingers.

PorscheDoc 08-24-2007 08:35 AM

The flywheel lock should not be on the car at all when tensioning the belt, nor when installing a new belt on!! This is only used for pulling the crank pulley off.

tarheel24 08-24-2007 10:52 AM

okie dokie. How, then, do I keep the crank from rotating when tensioning the belt? Nearly every time I go to tension the belt, the belt pulls the crank, and the marks are off. Do you have a trick for this? Or, am I just... doing it wrong somehow?

PorscheDoc 08-24-2007 11:03 AM

Well, line both the marks up (OT and the dist housing). Carefully slide the belt into place. Pretension the belt and lock down the tensioner pulley. The crank and the cam should not move at all when you do this. Once the tensioner is tight, rotate the crank 2x and check your marks. If they are good, rotate another 2x and check your marks. If they are good, then turn the crank counterclockwise 1.5 teeth (you can go off the mark on the cam gear), then tension your belt from there. Once it is tensioned, turned it 2x more, and make sure you marks are still lined up.

tarheel24 08-24-2007 01:41 PM

i will continue doing that. thanks Porschedoc!!!
for reference, it seems that when I rotate it 2x, the marks are off... i have yet to do it and see the marks stay. I don't think this is normal.... but, I shall keep at it, and keep posting.

And again, thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it.