Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Exhaust Stud Lineup

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Default Exhaust Stud Lineup

I have the new head on the block and all fasteners are torqued. The exhaust studs are screwed into the head. The exhaust header however, will not lineup with the studs. I can manipulate the header to line up each stud with the mounting hole in the exhaust header, however it will not slide on. The exhaust header is not currently detached from the exhaust system... does anyone have any tricks for getting the header to cooperate? Or must I disconnect the header from the exhaust system? Will that even help, I don't see that offering enough play to solve my problem... rather just creating more work that I would rather avoid.

If you need pics tell me, and I shall post some.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Exhaust Stud Lineup

Disconnect the header from the exhaust system. You will go insane trying to make that line up with the rest of the exhaust tight. Get the header started on all the studs, put the nuts on loosely just to hold the header there, and then put your 6 bolts in the holes at the other end to make sure those are lined up.

It all has to be done slowly together, or you will never get it lined up...at either end.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:56 AM

Thanks PorscheDoc, I'll try to get that done today. Let you know how it goes.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:40 PM

exhaust and head are mounted and flush. time to put the camshaft back on, so, two things... I am told that I am to line up the mark on the camshaft sprocket with a mark in the distributor housing... (and the factory service manual says something about 10 degrees off of TDC which thoroughly confused me... Im an Econ and Business Major not a Mechanical Engineer!!! so basically, I need that part spelled out because i dont feel like killing the car again.)

And also, 3 of the valve lifters won't budge. All others move up and down when the camshaft rotates, but these three are nearly all the way out (so far so that the camshaft does not reach them at any point during its rotation) and they will not slide in or out. What to do?

Old 08-20-2007, 07:57 PM

Old 08-20-2007, 08:08 PM

btw, wrong terminology, theyre not lifters... lol sorry.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Lol, yea, actually they are lifters. Hydraulic lifters. They are probably just cocked in sideways sightly. You should be able to wiggle them enough that they pop out. A rubber mallet may help (TAP slightly sideways to try and straighten them in the housing, then they will come out). When you put the cam on, the #1 cylinder needs to be one TDC (lined up with the OT mark), then place the cam housing on, with the mark on the cam gear lined up on the distributor housing mark. Once you get the belt installed, you will check the tension at 10 degrees before after TDC (to the left of the mark), which is about 1 and a half teeth.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:49 PM

did exactly as you said to do, and they came right out. thank you much Porschedoc. I am in the process of putting the cam on now.

again, thank you so much.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:53 AM

When I put the camshaft on, and turned it to the mark, my friend reasoned that because the cam turns at a 2:1 ration with the Crank that I need to make sure that the camshaft is opening the proper valves at TDC. And that, just because the cam is at the mark doesnt mean that the cam is opening the right valves. (He reasons that when the cam reaches the mark there are 2 different results, as though the full range of the cam is not one rotation, but two)
I reasoned that when the camshaft reaches the mark, the same valves will always be open because its a fixed point on a full 360 circle.

Which one of us is right?

Old 08-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Lol, you freind should be quite and just watch If the cam is at the mark, the correct valves HAVE to be open, it is a fixed system. IE, the cam pulley is fixed to the cam itself and can not move, and the lobes will always be in the correct position that they need to be in relation to the head itself.

The crank turns 2 turns for every 1 turn of the cam, not vise versa. When the cam mark lines up with the distributor housing, the correct valves are open. If you turn the crank 360 degrees, your cam mark is going to be 180 degrees off the dist. housing mark. If you turn the crank another 360 degrees, your cam mark will come back to being lined up at the dist. housing. To tension the belt properly, you need to rotate the crank 2 full revolutions, then turn it counter clockwise 1 and a half teeth and tension the belt. Also verify that when your cam mark is lined up with the dist housing, that your OT mark is in the correct spot.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Stud Lineup