Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Fluids and a fixed problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Default Fluids and a fixed problem

First - huge thanks to this forum and especially to "kinderrich" !
A couple of weeks ago my Porsche couldn't start when the enginewas hot or even if the car stays under the sun --- at night, when it was cooler, it had no problem at all. I checked this forum for ideas what could be wrong and found "kinderrich" posts about the DME relay - which I replaced ( $30) and that fixed the problem ! Thanks so much !!!

Now, I would like to replace all of the fluids with the best available, could you please enlighten me what I need and where to get it from ?! Coolant, brake fluid, steering...etc...etc

Old 04-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Fluids and a fixed problem

Prestone makes a universal, mix with any color, safe for aluminum engines coolant. Mix 50/50.
Brake fluid, I use ATE Dot 4 or Super Blue (track cars), but Motul also makes a great fluid.
Oil: Castrol 20w-50 (non syn), or Mobil 1 15w-50 (synthetic)
Gear Lube: Depends on if you have LSD or not. Non LSD: Redline MT-90, Mobil 1 75w-90, or Swepco. For an LSD, redline you can use their 75w-90 IIRC, the mobil 1, or the swepco. It just needs to have the LSD friction modifier in it.
Power Steering: Any ATF Dexron III transmission fluid (does not use power steering fluid)

Old 04-28-2007, 05:06 PM

That's prime material for a faq.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:29 PM

Thank you Doc !
Next week I'll flush all the fluids.
Anything that I should know about spark plugs, wires, distributor cup and the rotor ?!

Old 04-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Nothing special. Use all stock parts, IE no need to run any special plug. These cars run best off a stock bosch copper spark plug. No platinum 4's.

Wires I would stick with either stock Beru wires, or get a set of wires from Clewett engineering, which are very nice, and about half the cost.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:11 PM

Hey PorscheDoc,
You can't imagine how helpful you are !!! Thank you soooo much !!!
What plugs would you recommend - I am little bit confused - Bosh WR 8 DS, or 7 ?! The manual says 8, but I have read on the Internet some people recommend 7 ! I would go with whatever you recommend !

Old 04-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

What year? NA, turbo, S, S2, etc?

Old 04-30-2007, 08:20 PM

Sorry !
1985/1

The Porsche just stalled on me at a stop light. Couldn't start it for 10 minutes, but once it did, it runs smooth ! WTF is wrong ?! Could it be a sensor or may be the distributor cup ! It only happens when the weather is hot.

PS: It seems that now the car burns more gas than usual !

Old 04-30-2007, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

The starting issue is most likely a reference sensor, or the connections to that from the harness. The harness gets brittle over time, and the wires break inside the sheathing.

Use a WR8DS for the early cars.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:11 PM

Hey Doc,
Is it possible the speed sensor to be the problem ?! I gave my car to a garage to check it out and they say that the speed sensor is faulty. It will cost me $300 - to install the sensor, re-tighten the belts and full check up ---is this OK, or too much ?

Quick Reply: Fluids and a fixed problem