Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Front suspension rebuild

Old 05-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Default Front suspension rebuild

Hi

I'm planning to redo and upgrade the entire suspension system for autocross, but also for street use. I can't afford to buy everything at once so I'm doing it one step at a time. So far I have Bilstein HD shocks for the rear. My next step is to replace the shocks and springs in the front. I was wondering if somebody could help suggest what to go with in the front. I was considering either getting matching Bilsteins or getting the adjustable Koni sports and matching it with a pair of 220lb Weltmeister springs. Any advice on this setup. The next step would be to get stiffer sway bars, and finally replace the torsion bars. As for replacing the front, I know I need a spring compressor, I can buy or rent that, but there is some issue with needing an air ratchet or a special tool to loosen a bolt. Is there any advice on the best way to handle that as well. Thanks alot...

[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Front suspension rebuild

If you upgrade your torsion bars later, you will also need to go with heavier front springs, so keep that in mind. Going with say, a 28mm torsion bar will require at least a 350lb front spring.

With some very slight modifications, you can take early 83 strut housings, which have removable inserts, toss the inserts, and install bilstein inserts, and you will have a great suspension setup.

You will want to use an air ratchet to screw on and off the top nut on the struts, you can do it with an allen and a wrench, but it will take you awhile, as well as doing it with the spring compressors installed is a bit nerve racking. I'd take it to a shop and have them buzz the springs on and off for you.