Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Fuel pump location

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Default Fuel pump location

Hi all..

Ok so I have a 1986 NA 944 and a Haynes manual. I'm trying to figure out exactly where the Fuel pump is located and it seems like the pump is in a different location than the picture in the book. I'm thinking that the book uses a pre 1985.5 944 and they moved the pump on the 1986 versions. I just cant find the darn thing, please dont tell me its in the gas tank. If so, whats the most reliable way to test the pump to see if it works. My car still will not start, it turns over but wont start. So far I have replace the DME relay and the fuel filter so it cant be either of those. I have also checked the connection on the Speed and reference sensors. In addition to that I listened for any sounds from the rear of the car while a friend cycled the key. No sounds, so that leads me to believe that the pump is bad. Any ideas on what to try next. Perhaps a checklist of things to go down that I have not checked yet.

Thanks a bunch I hope you all can help. I'm getting really frustrated at having all this good weather and no car....

Cheers....

Garren

Old 04-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Fuel pump location

Fuel pump is underneath a black cover on the passenger side bottom of the gas tank. You will have to take off one of the mounting straps for the tank to get the cover off. IIRC it is a long bolt with a 15mm head that holds the strap in place on the frontside of the tank. All easy to get to.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:33 PM

Ok thanks

I just could not find the thing, didnt think to look under anything. lol...

Anyways, I got some info from clarks garage an thing to diagnose, so I'll try some of those ideas and post back here if I still can't figure out whats wrong...

Thanks alot...
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-15-2008, 03:52 PM

Yeah I was going to suggest that article at clarks garage. There's about a dozen weird electrical reasons why the fuel pump will decide not to kick on. You could always take the electrical connector off the pump and feed 12v to it to see if it will kick on.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:36 PM

Hey, I had not thought of just trying to put 12v to the connection. Nice idea. Is there any danger in doing that. I'm assuming that I might want have it off the car just in case a spark blows me up??

So just out of curriosity, what would your say... top 5 reasons for the fuel pump not turning on be?? Well besides the couple I have checked that is IE Fuel filter, DME relay and fuse 34?? I'm really having a hard time tracking this one down, any experience or ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks

[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-16-2008, 04:13 PM

Well, if you crank it and your tach doesn't bounce a little your speed reference sensors might need some help. There could be messed up wiring or a loose wire...and the computer might be messed up...I guess the soldering isn't too great on them...I'm pretty sure that clarks garage goes over a procedure for checking things from the leads on the wiring harness connection to the computer...the computer is in the passenger footwell. that's unlikely the problem.
Also, if it's an automatic I'm not sure if it prevents the fuel pump but remember to start it in P or N...that's caught me a bunch of times

There shouldn't be much issue with testing the fuel pump but what I'd do is hook up a couple gator clips to the appropriate leads (you don't likely want it spinning in reverse) and run the leads to a battery so you're clear of the car in case of issues...if it's quiet you'll hear the humm anyway.
if you want to be extra safe you can put a switch in the circuit.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:47 PM

thanks for all your help so far. I do seem to remember having a tach problem before this all happened and the car suddenly died awhile back. IT used to be that the tack would not register at all until the car was warmed up a bit, but that only happened occasionally. Right now, it does not look like the tach is doing anything. So I'm somewhat inclined to believe that this might be my problem after all and not the fuel pump. A quick test of the pump as you suggested would rule that out I think. So my next question is... what method is there to test the tach? I've already checked the wires.

So I would also like everybodys opinion on something. Either way fuel pump or new sensor I have a few purchasing options. How does everybody feel about aftermarket replacememnt parts like those from Bosch. For the pump for instance I can go Factory new, factory rebuilt, or a new Bosch. Same with the sensor. Obviosly the Bosch is cheaper by far. Any opinion on this??

Thanks..
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-19-2008, 03:53 PM

I could be wrong but it's probably bosch parts that are on there. I did the same thing where I assumed it was my fuel pump but found it was the DME relay.
The reference sensors are in kind of a pain in the *** place to get to. They might just need to be adjusted. You can check the resistance with a multimeter, the plugs for them are at the back of the engine, it's a little easier to check there rather than climbing underneath.
If your reference sensors are bad though your engine won't start.