Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

ground points and fuse box question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Default ground points and fuse box question

Hi all.

So yet again another question. I believe I have narrowed my non starting issue down a bit. So its not the DME relay, pretty sure its not the fuel pump (still checking the wiring) and Its not the sensors (tach bounces when I crank). So I'm thinking its a problem with a ground or perhaps a problem with the wiring in the fuse box itself (the box had some water in it over the winter). Here is what I know... most of the fuses on the near side of the box (like 28-36 or something like that as well as a couple random fuses like 5) do not work at all. I used a test light to confirm this. That is the fuses are all good when tested in the fuse tester, but when in place they have no current going through them, ie.. the test light will not light. This is the same if the car is cranking or not. So I am wonder if A. it could be a common ground point, B. a common Hot lead or something in the fuse box itself, or C. something else... Whats the best way to figure this out. I look at a wiring diagram, but I must admit that I do not know what I'm looking for. I am still learning

You have all helped me a great deal so far, I hope I can get some more ideas what to look at and narrow this down a little further.

Thanks

[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Default RE: ground points and fuse box question

Hi, if you get under the car, look for an earth strp that goes from the body to the engine.
Locate this, and clean off both ends ie cable and chassis/engine connection pointand reassemble tightly with grease and new star washers. Do same checks on all connections to the starter motor solenoid. Check the battery earth point to the body doing the clean and grease operation with new star washers.
For the fuse box, a good auto electrician with an AVO Meter should be able to help trace the fault if it lies there.
Best I can do from 3000 miles awy
Regards Big Bob

Old 04-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

well, IIRC #35 is your fuel pump fuse, so that would explain the no start issue.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:23 PM

Thanks Big Bob... I'll give that a try and we shall see........

[align=left] [/align]