Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

having trouble getting auto trans out

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Default having trouble getting auto trans out

I am trying to change flywheel at the back of the engine.

Can this be done by removing trans and drive shaft?

Or will engine need to come out?
And can it come out the top?

I have just purchased this car the repair was half into.
Its a 1988 944 auto trans

Bell housing is loose drive shaft tube is loose
Trans cross bar is loose from frame but is still attached to the top of trans (this is probably going to be a problem), the single bolt holding it is hard to get to and has been previously stripped out. (hex head)

Old 04-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Default RE: having trouble getting auto trans out

HI THERE.
IF YOU ARE GOING TO PULL THE TRANS BACK TO GET AT THE FLYWHEEL , MAKE SURE YOU PULL THE SENSORS OUT OF THE BACK OF THE BLOCK FIRST. THEN PULL THE STARTER AND REMOVE THE BOLTS THAT HOLD THE RUBBER VIBRATION DAMPNER TO THE FLYWHEEL (9 BOLTS). i DON'T KNOW WHY YOU ARE PULLING THE FLYWHEEL OUT, BUT IF IT IS BECAUSE OF A TINKLING RATTLE SOUND, IT IS PROBABLY THE DAMPNER THAT IS THE PROBLEM. YOU CAN CHECK IT BY OPENING THE INSPECTION HOLE IN THE BELLHOUSING TO SEE IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF RUBBER FLAKES IN THERE. THE DAMPNER IS GOOD FOR ABOUT A 130,OOO TO 150,000 KM. ACORDING TO PORSCHE, AND LESS IF THERE IS OIL OR ANTIFREEZE GETTING TO IT. THE CHEEPEST DAMPNER I FOUND WAS $750.00 USD.
AS FAR AS PULLING THE MOTOR FROM THE TOP,YES YOU CAN,I HAVE PULLED MINE OUT FROM THE TOP TWICE NOW. AGAIN, REMEMBER TO PULL THE SENSORS,REMOVE THE DAMPNER TO FLYWHEEL BOLTS, REMOVE THE FRONT WHEELS AND DROP THE SUSPENSION CROSSMEMBER. BEFORE YOU DROP THE CROSSMEMBER UNDO THE MTRMOUNTS,IF YOU DON'T DROP THE CROSSMEMBER YOU WON'T HAVE ROOM TO MOVE THE MTR FORWARD TO COME OF THE DRIVESHAFT. YOU ALSO HAVE TO REMOVE THE RAD, POWER STEERING AND AIR CONDITIONING UNIT AS WELL. DISCONECT THE EXAUST,PULL THE DME WIREING HARNESS THROUGH THE FIREWALL, AND PULL THE BATTERY CABLES THROUGH AS WELL. I AM SURE I FORGOT SOMETHING IN ALL THAT BUT IT'S FAIRLY STRAIGHT FORWARD. PULL THE MTR FORWARD ABOUT 6 INCHES AND UP IT COMES. THERE IS A C CLIP ON THE END OF THE DRIVESHAFT THAT HAS TO BE REMOVED TO GET THE DAMPNER OFF THE DRIVESHAFT.
THERE IS A COMPRESSION CLAMP ON THE TRANS SIDE OF THE DAMPNER THAT HAS TO BE RELEASED AS WELL,IT CAN BE ACESSED THROUGH THE INSPECTION HOLE IN THE BELLHOUSING, AND THE DAMPNER TO FLYWHEEL BOLTS CAN BE GOT AT THROUGH THE STARTER HOLE IN THE BELLHOUSING.
HOPE THIS HAS BEEN OF HELP TO YOU,GOOD LUCK. ( it sounds complicated but it's not that bad at all')

Old 04-16-2006, 09:15 PM

I did not want to pull the engine unless I had to. The trans is able to move rearward about 2 inches before the top cross bar hits. I don't think thats going to be enough to get the flywheel out.

[IMG][/IMG]

As far as why I am removing the flywheel.
I just bought the car and the guy before me had partially started the job and included a new flywheel. So I guess I'll proceed.

While I was trying to pull the drive shaft rearward a small 3/8 bolt 1" long fell from inside the bell housing. It looked pretty beat up.
(I wonder if that was the noise the previous owner heard. That would be my luck and all this would be for naught) LOL
[IMG]local://upfiles/2165/63B54D44786E43F6924C1CF4AC86507D.jpg[/IMG]

Any Ideas what these are?
[IMG]local://upfiles/2165/E53E3EC350AD4EEFB5E3D2E765B971CC.jpg[/IMG]
THanks
Lowell

Old 04-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

To pull the flywheel, you either have to remove the engine, or remove the tranny and slide the torque tube back.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:34 AM

HI THERE.
#1 LOOKS LIKE THE TIMING TEST PORT ON A LATE MODEL (85 1/2 AND UP). THIS GOES DOWN TO A 3RD SENSOR
AT THE BACK OF THE BLOCK INTO THE BELLHOUSING, IT DOES NOTHING BUT PERMIT THE MECHANIC WORKING ON THE CAR TO CHECK THE TIMING WITH HIS DIOGNOSTIC TESTER.
#2IS FOR A VACUME LINE THAT CONTROLS A WATER VALVE AT THE BACK OF THE MOTOR.
#3LOOKS LIKE THE HARNESS RECIEVER FOR THE OXYGEN SENSOR IN THE EXAUST PIPE BEHIND THE HEADER. IT HAS A LONG TAIL THAT COMES UP BEHIND THE MOTOR AND HOOKS INTO THAT RECIEVER.
HOPE THAT HELPS YOU OUT, GOOD LUCK. DONT KNOW WHY THE TRANSAXLE WON'T DROP DOWN,SOMTHING MUST BE HOLDING IT UP. DIDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH MINE.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:49 PM

Thanks I'll let you know how it goes.

I also plan on trying my hand at upholstory, hey how hard can it be? LOL
I would post a before photo but it's just toooo bad

Thanks
Lowell

Nankipoo is my home

Old 06-13-2006, 11:54 PM

I gave up on removing the trans and pulled the motor.

Here is what I found[IMG]local://upfiles/2165/6D5E947C7F154C71999F54D76B5A8E72.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/2165/59B2AC6D54E647B4B0F7BCDFB7610D77.jpg[/IMG]

Also this vac hose was off when I got the car, where might this plug to[IMG]local://upfiles/2165/E6A69B545FCA45F0A62C76A86FC288FA.jpg[/IMG]

What is this and I guess I'll need to splice fix these wires[IMG]local://upfiles/2165/94F15D609937482195991F0E79EC5CF9.jpg[/IMG]

Painting before the motor goes back[IMG]local://upfiles/2165/BC6F4BBABEC94E1FA8D511617887D32D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Why have you painted the engine bay red, when the body colour is black?

Old 06-14-2006, 10:53 AM

We are going to paint the car red, and I sanded and painted the engine bay the new color.

I does look a little weird right now, dark blue and red kinda like,,, superman. LOL
We also thought it looks a little like open heart surgery.

The original paint is in real bad condition. As soon as we get it running we will paint the rest.

I have never bought a car without hearing it run. The previous owners tried to remove the engine and were stuck.

Thanks to this forum and everyones help I found they were trying to remove the engine without removing the speed sensors or the dampner to the flywheel bolts. There are crowbar marks where they were trying to force the bellhousing from the motor. GEZZZ

Any ideas on the vac hose location?
And the round things?

Thanks

Old 06-17-2006, 04:24 AM

HI THERE,
I KIND OF FIGURED IT WOULD BE THE VIBRATION DAMPNER, ITS IN BETTER SHAPE THAN THE ONE WE PULLED OUT OF OUR CAR.
NOT SURE WHERE THE VACUME FITTING FOR THAT GOES, BUT THE TWO ROUND WHITE RESISTORS ARE FOR YOUR COOLING FANS ON THE RAD. ITS A GOOD IDEA TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE CONECTED CORRECTLY OR THEY WILL GIVE THE FANS A FALSE READING, MAKING THEM COME ON WHEN THEY DON'T NEED TO. THE WAY I SEE IT A CAR, ANY CAR IS A REFLECTION OF THE OWNER, AND IS JUST A STARTING POINT FOR YOUR DREAMS. GOOD LUCK, I WANT TO SEE SOME PICTURES OF IT WHEN IT"S DONE.
STRAYCAT.