Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 12:52 AM
Default Headlights

Ok, stupid question I know, is there a way to manually put the headlights down and where is it? I took my 944 out in the snow last weekend and it was so cold that the headlight motor wouldn't put them down. I've probably burned out the motor now but I just want the lights down. On the plus side the 944 does great donuts on snow.....

Old 12-07-2005, 02:51 AM
Default RE: Headlights

You can loosen the screw on the headlight motor on the battery side of the engine compartment, this will allow you to lower manually. then just tighten the screw back to keep them down.. but dont try to turn them on again!

Old 12-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Hi 944Dream, I don't know what AHJax is on about, but, to lower or raise the headlamps manually....

...1. Open the hood...

...2. Remove the protective rubber boot from the top of the headlight raising system motor...

...3. Turn the knurled **** to raise or lower the headlight assemblies...

...4. (Note; If undue resistance is encountered, lubricate the retractor linkage.)

And yes, 944's are great fun in the snow and ice!!!!!
[sm=gears.gif]

Old 12-07-2005, 12:59 PM

Actually, I was in the same area you are, just a different approach. :-) If the motor is burned up I don't know if the **** would work, but then again, I forget to start with the simple :-)

Old 12-07-2005, 11:24 PM

Thanks guys, I'll give both of them a shot when I get off work. Hopefully I didn't burn the motor out, I can't afford to get a new one right now. I really appreciate your help.

Jake

Old 12-11-2005, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I hooked jumper cables up to the battery and the lights retracted so fortunatly I didn't have to do anything. Of course then I went out on Fri night and the thermostat went out. I'm planning on changing that on Weds.

Old 12-11-2005, 02:54 PM

Have fun with that thermostat, it can be one of the most frustrating jobs you can do on a 944. It *should be* simple, but that snap ring can be a real bear, especially without the right set of snap ring pliers. A couple of tips for you... first, make sure you get the seals and spacers in the right order, and second, drill a 1/8" hole in the outer ring of the thermostat and align it so that the hole is at the top when you put it back in. The hole will greatly aid in bleeding air out of the coolant. Also, make sure that you properly bleed the air out of the system.

Regards,

Old 12-11-2005, 06:49 PM

Errr, that sounds like alot of work for a thermostat. I didn't think it'd be anything like that, I've replaced them on nissans and fords before and they were incredibly simple. Anyway I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for the advice.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Hi 944Dream, sh944 is right about that thermostat! I had a problem with my S2 overheating a couple years back and decided that I would change the thermostat before letting the professionals at it. The job looks quite simple to do, but I broke two sets of snap ring pliers, it took me hours (and much swearing) to do and then it turned out that it wasn't the thermostat but the water pump that was f**ked! [:@] I think it was quite easy to remove the snap ring but a c**t to replace. (Or was it the other way around?)

Old 12-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Yea, that is a job that when the pump is off the car on a workbench, the ring comes out so easy you don't understand how it could be hard. But in the car.....in the car is another story.

Quick Reply: Headlights