Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Heat Exchanger blues....

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Default Heat Exchanger blues....

I'm about to attempt the fixing of the heat exchanger on an 85.5 944. I've read a couple of articles about it, the actual location I hear is on the oil filter housing (is that correct?). There is supposedly an alignment tool that I will need, should I get one from the dealership or does someone have a better idea? Also, the dealership tried to sell me a 3-5 hundred dollar replacement, I kept asking about a rebuild kit and never got an answer. Their excuse was that the original heat exchanger has been upgraded and I need to purchase the new one..... I would bet that I could rebuild this one for a lot cheaper but thought I would ask for any/all opinions from anyone who has had any experience with this. There is also a small "box" that is bolted to the engine block on the passenger side, right above where the oil pan bolts to the bottom of the block. This is leaking slightly, what is this for? The book I have is one of those cheap Haynes and I obviously need to get a shop manual (any pointers for that aquisistion are encouraged too).
Thanks for the help, I have worked on engines all my life but the Porsche is a totally new experience!
Dbanger

Old 09-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Heat Exchanger blues....

The oil cooler is what i assume you are talking about, can be resealed with a $35 seal kit from any online vendor (paragon-products.com, 944online.com, pelicanparts.com, etc), along with the oil cooler alignment tool for a few bucks. If you remove the oil cooler housing, then you must use the alignment tool to ensure proper oil pressure when you put it all back together. Some have done it without a tool, but for 20 bucks, it is worth not having to go in there twice. The oil filter mounts directly to the oil cooler housing. If the box you are talking about above the oil pan is more of a rectangle, then it is the lower balance shaft cover. To reseal it properly, will require a complete front engine tear down, past the timing and balance shaft belts. If you want to slap some copper RTV on the rear round plug to help seal it, it will get you down the road a ways until you get around to doing it the correct way. www.clarks-garage.com in his garage shop manual will walk you through the entire process for the oil cooler job.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Default RE: Heat Exchanger blues....

The oil cooler is exactly what I'm talking about, thank you for the info. That is what I needed to hear, there seems to be this "mystique" about having to have a Porsche dealer work on your car - I like to do as much work on my own as I possibly can. Anyway, I'll look for the seal kit and tool you reference, thank you for the quick response and valuable info!
Dbanger