Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

this might sound crazy but....

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Default this might sound crazy but....

Has anyone heard of a sr20 nismo swap? or a 1j or 2j toyota swap? dont get me wrong i love the 5.7 swap, but with todays economy its not looking to promising. This would really make the 944 more (tunable)

if anyone has anything.

let me know

Old 05-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Default RE: this might sound crazy but....

I'm not sure I've heard of this done but it sounds intresting. Not sure the straight six would fit as its about 4 or 5 inches longer than the standard lump. Probably possible but would be very costly and take alot of modifications such as modified bellhousing, enginr mounts, wiring harniss, prop shaft, tranny, bulkhead etc.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:46 PM

Those engine swaps would be fun -- do it if that's what you want --but I think your car would be faster, and have better fuel economy with the GM 5.7 liter V8, and with kits available, it would be far easier. Most of the swaps for the GM LSx series V8s include taking the bellhousing, clutch, and manual six speed transmission with it. The two top gears in that trans are overdrive gears, 6th being a ratio between .68 and .51. The LS V8 is incredibly torquey and can pull in traffic straight off of idle: you can get outstanding mpg around town by shifting at low RPM (I mean really low, like 1500-1800 RPM) and "letting the torque do the work."

Stock, my 'vette did about 34 mpg on the highway at a steady 60 mph (slightly less than 1700 RPM), about 30 at 70. Even modified, I still get 29at steady 60 mph(which is truly incredible, given the engine's power), and 19-22 on the way to work (stop signs and stop lights, city bouelvards, etc.), shifting at about 1650 RPM. My car weighs about what I imagine yours does (right at 3300 with me in it and a half tank), so I can't see you getting much better mileage with anything else.

You might check out my comments on this thread for more of fuel economy.

http://www.corvetteforums.com/m_32589/tm.htm

Old 05-06-2007, 06:50 PM

actually the sr20 motor he is speaking of. is a 4 cylinder turbo with stock HP around 200-220, with minor upgrades like front mount and mbc's among some other things it can get 300 easy, with better gas mileage than any v8 around, the motor is found in the japanese version of the 240sx, which is named the nissan silvia, if you think about it, its really the best choice for the 944, sr long blocks can be had for around 2K deliverd to your front door, i been thinking about it for awhile now, i tell you what, whoever designs a kit will be a very wealthy man, i will buy one right now and i know atleast 3 people with me on this one, **** some people swap them into 3 series bmw's, they have a kit that allows you to plug into the stock harness and everything, i cant wait for somone to drop the kit with mounts and everything,

SOLD BABY !!!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2007, 07:26 PM

Right yor are but the JZ's are inline six which I was thinking about. If I were to go to such lengths I would use the Toyota lump, although there is the size aspect of the engine to think about, it would be a sweeter motor than a four banger lump which the 944 already has which in my opinion would pointless putting another. The JZ's are a far better, more efficent, more powerful, more tunable and sound better than that engine from a nissan primera

Old 05-06-2007, 07:46 PM

looks like i might start welding up some motor mounts depending on what swap i go with. if i do, i will let you guys know about it.
Dave

Old 05-06-2007, 08:25 PM

Another engine you could consider is the Nissan RB25 or RB26DETT inline six from a skyline.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:00 PM

yea but waaay to expensive.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:27 PM

"with better gas mileage than any V8 around"

I'm going to disagree on the basis of comparing apples to apples.. A small displacement high RPM forced induction motor can provide better fuel economy than an LS2 in a 944, but only if it is cammed and tuned to provide far less performance. Even so, the fuel economy advantage will be small, and 200-220 HP -- whether that is flywheel or rear wheel that is pure wimp category in a street car weighing in around 3300 pounds with driver and fuel.No performance at all. Camry's driven by soccer Moms will outrun you. Getting into real performance territory, which means 1 RWHP for ever 10 pounds of car or less, would means cams and revs and tuning that would throw fuel economy out the window with that little four. Plus, believe it or not, that SR20 with all the goodies to make that much power starts to weigh only a bit less than what a sleeked out LS2 does -- and it has far, far less torque.
An LS2 puts around 355 HP at the rear wheels stock, which means basically a fuel economy cam and tight emissions.Install it with the right gears and a six-speed, and it will give good fuel economy and incredible power when asked. Remember the fundamental rule of automobile engines, true always: there is no replacement for displacement.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:00 AM

It is not physicaly possible for 5.7L to be more ecofriendly than the 2.5L engine. 355hp is so small for 5.7ltres, I can't understand how someone could build such a big engine and yet have so little power, when 2.6 RB26 is over 300 stock and tunable up and over 1000 horses. Japanese inline six is the way to go. V8 too heavy...

Quick Reply: this might sound crazy but....