Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

missing part what plugs in here??pic

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 05:46 AM
Default missing part what plugs in here??pic

i picked up a 87 944 yesterday. it has issues, many but it does crank over but no spark, its missing something by the rear engine hoist mount. anyone know what goes here. its the 3 pin connector in the pic. thanks in advance

also whats this???

and is there supposed to be a hole here..this cargot tangled up with a tweeker idiot and things have been screwed with when all it probably was originally was a bad ignition switch or alarm

Old 05-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

1. Diagnostic port for finding TDC using the old archaic porsche equipment of the 80's. No longer used. There should be a cap covering the pins though.

2. Water outlet port. They eventually just used the same port without a hole drilled in it for all pumps (S2 and Turbo actually have a hose running to that port. The 8V NA it is just capped.

3. That is the port for finding the TDC mark on the cam. There should be a rubber plug that inserts there, but it is pretty rare to find one actually still there.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
1. Diagnostic port for finding TDC using the old archaic porsche equipment of the 80's. No longer used. There should be a cap covering the pins though.

2. Water outlet port. They eventually just used the same port without a hole drilled in it for all pumps (S2 and Turbo actually have a hose running to that port. The 8V NA it is just capped.

3. That is the port for finding the TDC mark on the cam. There should be a rubber plug that inserts there, but it is pretty rare to find one actually still there.
thanks alot you saved me alot of geussing because in the book it looks like a wire goes to it so i thought something was removed.im waiting for the alldata disc to finish downloading, till then i just have a haynes
so the water outlet doesnt look capped, is it capped internally? theres a hole in the end.
kinda figured the hole at the dist was for timing marks or something.
so i have a few other questions that i cant seem to solve by searching.
the alarm key wont turn, it seems to be corroded stuck. it try to remove it the horn goes off as soon as i pull a wire, is it armed or not? im wondering what position its stuck in. the last guy pulled the factory alarm out and was playing with it. i jumped the pins as instructed to disable it, but does this work if the alarm lock is stuck ? im also dealing with a removed ign switch. so i have voltage to the coil but no spark, and i have fuel, infact the end of the fuel rail is leaking. the last guy basically hotwired the car with the key only to unlock the column
so i need to source a new ign switch and harness

Old 05-08-2010, 08:05 PM

so i have fuel pressure, my friend smelled gas coming out the tail pipe. theres 12v to either side of the coil but no spark. are these special coils? and how do i test to see if the coil is bad?i think its wired wrong the black wire goes to the 15+ and the green goes to -
i have removed the coil. i found how to test it in the haynes but i cant find the ohmatic values