Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Need Help With Buying a 944..

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Default Need Help With Buying a 944..

Hi everyone!
I am considering buying myself a 1990 Porsche 944 S cabriollet(convertible.) and am just wondering how much they should go for? This one is mint condition has 94,000 miles on her and is going for $12,000. Do you think this is too pricey?

ALSO! I really want to know how much money im going to have to put into maintance, maybe per year or something.
Any thoughts arund this would be great. Im 24 and am not made of money so i want to make sure its not going to kill the bank with maintanance.

Thanks for reading! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Brad

[IMG]local://upfiles/6081/CAA683980F2540C5BECCAD4881C777EB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Default RE: Need Help With Buying a 944..

That's not a bad price if it's in great condition. Make sure you run a carfax and have an independent porsche mechanic do a pre purchase inspection. Your annual costs will depend on the current mechanical condition of the car. With 94k miles anything could break at any time or it could last--you never know. you'll have your normal wear and tear and maintenance on the car. If you can perform so of these tasks yourself, you'll save money. Ask for the service records as well.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

It is actually an S2 if it is 1990 (big difference from the S). The price is a bit high, even for a cab. Figure about $1k a year in parts doing most of the labor yourself. At least for the first few years. You might get a gem that only needs gas and oil, but that is extremely rare with a 944/20 year old car.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:42 PM

cmilam - thanks for hittin back. I will most definitely run a carfax report on the badboy, and hope i can find a independent porsche mechanic in my area.. thanks for the tips tho! much abliged

PorscheDoc - thanks Doc! what are the main differences between the S and S2 if u dont mind me asking? i did think that the price tag was a bit high after comparing to others on ebay and autotrader.. im sure id be able to talk dont a bit but we'll see. it is in a car dealership so may not be able to barter too much.

thanks guys!

any more input ?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Well the S was made in 87 and 88, and had a 2.5L 16V engine with standard NA body kit. More or less it was a 944NA with a 16v head instead of an 8v head. The S2 was a 3.0L 16v engine making 208hp, received the turbo body styling (bumpers, etc), turbo brakes, etc.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:31 PM

Try not to buy from a dealer. In spending 32 years too many in the wholesale and retail auto industry, and with a touch of irony in my blatant distaste for the biz of late... it is certainly rare for anyone to unload a car like this (or any other) as a trade to a dealer unless he or she is desirous of a complete legal and moral 'detatchment' from the vehicle (forsome reason.) Nobody, not even the rich throw3 grand out the windowwhen they are selling a solid,if not perfect 944 cab.This car could also be an auction purchase. They are the worst of all. I can safely say that in recent memory, of the10-15 units we purchase a week (A lane cars)50-75% of these cars and trucks are AR (accident repair.) in various degrees from minordamage to severe collision repair. I would love to share more if notwrite a book on the subject, as thisisnot a rarity, but the norm, everyday inmost dealerauctions across North America. I'm sure I haven't made any friends in the auto industry tonight, but that's what this forum is here for.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:13 AM

Porsche Doc - Thanks for filling me in buddy! Appreciate it!

84944s - Thanks for the insight. I definitely will take that into consideration. I thought it was strange too to see one of these badboys in a dealership... i will make sure to do a carfax check as well as get it inspected before purchasing. Is there anything else you recommend i do to be safe? considering you are the auto-dealership guru :P

Cheers guys

Old 03-26-2008, 10:00 AM

Rare & Beautiful 1990 Porsche 944 16V Cabriolet! 5 Speed - $7790

Not sure if this will link you correctly or not but its in the San Francisco areacraigs list.Hope it helps you to see whats out there
Mc.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 AM

McIntyre - Thanks for checkin that out for me! Ya she looks like a beaut. Same amount of clicks as the 944 im looking at.. and 4 grand cheaper.. dam. Im from Canada too so cars are always more expensive here.. Im definitely going to check the car out and negotiate the price down if i can.
Thanks again bud!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:04 PM

A few tips for ya, if you're stuck on buying this unit from a dealer. There are a plethora of inspection areas and techniques when checking a car for originality,but here's one tipthat usually gets the stinkers off my purchase list before they run at the block.
9 out of10 cars and trucks(including the944 you are considering) have a fairly heavy mettalic basethat make upthe color of the paint. In bright sunlight, standaway from the car (20 ft.) Walk back and forth from the frontal portion tothe rear and look at the panels (front fender, door, quarter panel) running the sunlightacross the length of the car. With a keen eye you can learn to seea repainted panel that willdiffer fromthe factory application that is consistant from nose to tail. This is because no matter how talented a painter, he cannot recreate theexact sameconsistancy in the mettalic content or how the metalflake lays down against it's surface on the panel, in comparison with the factory spray. If you do notice a difference where two panels meet, you've probably spotted a collision repair or at least a corrosion repair. Then, do yourself a favour...walk away. There's a whole bunch of one owner944s that have been pampered and garaged since new. I've found a few, so can you.

Quick Reply: Need Help With Buying a 944..