Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

a new day, a new problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Default a new day, a new problem

I'm getting ready to replace the fan switch and I noticed that there's a coolant leak under the front of the car after sitting overnight. I had run the fan for about 30 minutes to cool anything needed and then pulled the fuses so the battery wouldn't drain down again. Is this kind of a malady associated with the fan/coolant overflow, or is it possible there's something else going on? I can't see any evidence of anything, i.e., hoses, radiatior, etc. One thing I did notice, there was a creamy foam, looking residue around the neck of the reservoir cap. Is it possible that the previous owner put a "stop leak" in the coolant that would cause that kind of residue? Each day it's something else. I think I'm going to write a book about this.[X(]

Old 12-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: a new day, a new problem

Argh, watch that creammy stuff in the coolant tank very closely. That is a sign of bad oil cooler seals, which will allow oil and coolant to mix together, and you will get a nice chocolate milkshake.

Check the radiator closely, the plastic end tanks are prone to leaking, and could be where your leak is coming from.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:48 PM

Oh, boy, more good news[X(]. If the oil cooler seals are leaking, outside of the creamy stuff around the neck of the reservoir cap, what else would I notice of a seal leak? The coolant looks normal. Plastic radiator ends? Really? I saw this car has an aluminum radiator. If there was a leak in a plastic end wouldn't this cause the radiator to drain as it pressurizes? As usual, the fan switch I ordered was the wrong one for my car.I've ordered another and will, once again, tear into the front end to replace it. By the way, the socket for the switch was a 30mm deep socket, as opposed to 24mm. thanks for your info, by the way.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

They are aluminum radiators with plastic end caps. If there is a very slight crack that opens under heat and pressure they can leak slowly.