Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

New to the your forum, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 03:37 PM
ZOD
Default RE: New to the your forum, advice needed

I understand that the 968 Club Sport was quite a car. I don't think any were officially imported to the states due to the removal of safety equipment but they were light and had the 3 liter motor (0-60 was around 5.8 or 5.9 with smooth power). Again, I've never driven one but I remember all of the fuss that surrounded them when they came out.

I still like the 944 Turbo S.

Ok, I'm off to install a new Exhaust and CAT in my plain old 88 944 NA this afternoon.

Old 01-15-2005, 04:29 PM

All that been said its true that power and speed gain is extremely difficult. It can be done but if your not looking for a showroom quality keeper with the overall price tag (parts/mod + cost of vehicle) of a new vehicle the really is no point. </voice of experience> Even a good deal of aftermarket cat-backs are just recreations of stock system; unless you are looking to lose your catalytics, which renders a vehicle "illegal" if you are in an area in which emissions are tested. You would as was stated before spend less and acquire more out of another car. However that said there is a great deal this vehicle has to offer upon stock app. And handling that is tough to beat. Really these are dreams to won and drive; not to mention the bragging rights involved in saying you drive a Porsche. If however you looking for a gain I would keep in mind the suspension system. There is an insane number of strut/shock, sway, spring, even braking add-ons that will vastly outweigh most other cars on the road today. As for wheels even experienced racers will tell you that after 17" the mass and weight outweigh the potential gain. Not to mention the above stated. While you can, and it has been done before, app an 18 there really is no point. Its spent money for the purpose of looks alone. In fact in the situation in which we attempted it (my friend's turbo model) there was a significant loss over the 17"s in both turning radius and overall handling. Find a nice 3 piece 17" racing set and run with them. Be sure that they are not TOO light nor too heavy. A light wheel is far more prone to bending and dinging, but likewise the heavy wheel… well, weighs more. There is a nice medium. Tires are another one of those fine lines, no 10 people will agree on. I run Toyo Proxes ZR rateds because I get a nice deal on them. For a 944 I wouldn't run any less than W rated, but really for the application Zs are optimum. However on a daily driver these get massively expensive.

Old 01-15-2005, 06:04 PM

Thanks for giving a reasonable and realistic answer, MrPilkington.

Regards,

Old 01-16-2005, 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: ZOD

I understand that the 968 Club Sport was quite a car. I don't think any were officially imported to the states due to the removal of safety equipment but they were light and had the 3 liter motor (0-60 was around 5.8 or 5.9 with smooth power). Again, I've never driven one but I remember all of the fuss that surrounded them when they came out.

The 968 Club Sport was touted as a "driver's car" and did somewhat well when released in Europe. You're correct, there were none officially sold in the states at the time due to the safety regulations regarding airbags and some other issues. However, there are two real 968CS cars in the states now currently, imported by some fellow PCA members in recent years (probably for not a small amount money, either....).

One could easily make their own version of the 968CS by sourcing the proper parts and deleting un-necessary ammenities. Items where they differed from the standard 968 in regards to weight reduction, from memory (please forgive me as it is early and I am still waiting for that cup of java, so I may miss something here......LOL):

1. No A/C
2. Smaller Battery and more sparce wiring harness
3. Manual (cable driven) heater controls system (I want one of those!)
4. Manual rear hatch release
5. No stereo
6. Manual windows, locks, and mirrors
7. No rear seat
8. Lighter composite race style seats (similar Recaro ones ala the 911RS of the time).
9. smaller windsheild wiper reservoir
10. deletion of plastic trim pieces in the engine bay
11. No sunroof
12. Various sound deadening bits removed
13. No airbags (with that came the gorgeous 968CS steering wheel)
14. No console cubby lid cover, just the tray that was a 951turbo cup left-over.
15. No cruise control

Curiously, the 968CS cars still had power steering. Also, contrary to popular belief, M030 suspension was not standard on 968CS cars, though a popular option and can be found on many.

Buyers could order them with some of the deleted options above thrown back in. You'll find a lot of 968CS cars that were ordered with the stereo option and the standard sport seats.

Then, to confuse the matter even more, Porche offered in addition to the above, a "968 Sport" model the next year, which basically had the same lower ride height of the 968CS, but had a lot of the luxury items, including sunroof, standard. A lot of these were ordered with so many options that the weight ballooned to basically the same as a standard 968.

If I ever hit the lottery, a blue 968CS with M030 would be on my wish list. There is a local Porsche collector here that I contiually mention to him that a 968CS would be a perfect addition to add to his collection and place next to his 951 TurboCup car, 911RS, and 550Spyder. Ahh, maybe someday.....

Old 01-19-2005, 02:51 AM

Since 1975 the Porsche world has basically been divided into two groups, blown and unblown. You have the normally aspirated side, and the turbocharged side. Both great in their own ways but both somewhat opposites.

If you want your front engined Porsche to throw venom around cones at DEs and such, non turbo is the way to go. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to fix, more low end grunt, usually a bit lighter. Carve up the wooded backroads? Id go NA too. If you want to tear *** down a country two laner and leave shockwaves behind you, you need a turbo.

Every day, Id go 968 over 944. A better (and more expensive) car in nearly every way. Especially if it was my only car. If I had a Porsche as a second car, Id go 944 every time. 944 Turbo is like the 944 in name only after 40mph. If I had no desire to track the car, the Turbo would be my car of choice. It wouldnt even be worth the google search to consider cannibalizing a 944 into a 944 Turbo.

Of course, As namisofiT indicated the 968CS or 968 Turbo is where you really want to be.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:38 AM
ZOD

The 968 Turbo S is a really cool car - it was based on 968 CS but with an 8 valve head and was the basis for the 968 Turbo RS race-car. The Turbo S produced just over 300 HP the RS went up to about 350 HP. I don't think porsche made more than 20 968 turbos of any kind. Actually, I think the number was 15 Turbo S models and 5 Turbo RS models. Getting your hands on any of these would be pretty tough. As was stated earlier the CS is also rare in the US.

The 1988 944 Turbo S or the 1989 944 Turbo (same car really) are about as close as you are likely to get to a 968 turbo.

Old 01-19-2005, 05:00 AM

ORIGINAL: sh944

Thanks for giving a reasonable and realistic answer, MrPilkington.

Regards,

You must be a god or something.. (I love ya Scott! )

Old 01-19-2005, 10:41 AM

God??? lol Endlessly patient and trying to encourage good behavior here, maybe.

Regards,

Old 01-19-2005, 01:35 PM

Bump to bury another thread that has less value than this one...

Old 01-24-2005, 12:26 AM

Just movin' em on down the line.

Quick Reply: New to the your forum, advice needed