Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Noob here, should I buy this 944?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:21 AM
Default Noob here, should I buy this 944?

Alright I'm going to keep this short and sweet... I have experience with cars, I work as a mechanic. Mostly from the import area, i had a track ***** Acura Integra, yada yada. Currently I drive a plain ol' buick and i have a sport bike.

Well, I found someone on craigslist with a porsche 944 that is interested in trading my bike for the car. I'd have to put a little money with my bike (cus the bikes not worth as much as the car, though very close)

Basically I'd be paying around $3500 for the car, but that's assuming I can't talk them down at all....

It's a 1985 Porsche 944 5speed with 97,xxx miles on it.

Supposedly new clutch and all that good stuff, so lets assume all of that. I haven't seen it yet either, but lets assume the sellers telling the truth and the cars in good shape.

First question: Is this car worth $3500?

Second Question: What are some common problems I should look for when I go to see the car sunday?

This is the sort of car I want to get into. I don't plan on doing ANYTHING to it, just drive it... will this be an OK daily driver, and is the maintainance cost going to be OK? How are parts? I can do all the work myself, but are parts expensive....?

Basically school this n00b on all that is 944! I've always loved these cars, never owned though. Help me out!

-Jordan

Old 11-09-2006, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Noob here, should I buy this 944?

First thing you do with any 944 when you buy it is replace the timing and balance shaft belts, all the rollers, and waterpump. It is about $400 in parts, and a day of your time the first time you do it. The cars are interference motors, and are notorious for breaking T-belts. I just bought 2 valves today, and it was $120 my cost, so you can imagine if you had to replace 4 or more which is typical when the belt breaks, plus $70 for a head gasket, and whatever it costs to get the head done. Other things like to go bad such as motor mounts etc. If you plan on launching the car hard, then expect to eat the R&P, it is a great daily driver and track/autocross car, but not a drag car....nor is it fast enough to do so, lol.

$3500 is a good price if the miles are true and the car is in great shape. If it is in rough shape, then I wouldn't pay more than 2500-3000 for an NA. Turbo is a little different.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:36 AM

sounds about what i thought... yeah, im not looking to drag race it, probably not even autox... in fact knowing that the tbelts are prone to breaking is better because then i will be less likely to let loose on modding it... im horrible, i have a disease... i cant leave a car stock for more than a week, same with my bike.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

With an NA 944, there is nothing you can do for extra power anyway (financially feasible anyway), short of supercharging it. You can get a chip for 5hp, but that is about it. You can upgrade the suspension etc, but nothing power wise.