Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Short Shifter as Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Default Short Shifter as Replacement

I am planning on installing a short shift kit to replace the worn shift mechanism on my 944 as it will be much cheaper then buying a new factory intermediate shift lever.

The one from BP Motorsports looks like it is built very well. I have also heard the unit from Schnell is a good performer as well.

If I were to guess judging from only the pictures I think I would lean toward the one from BP as it seems the block acting as the actual intermediate shift lever looks pretty tough and the unit from Schnell (Although I can't really tell too well from the picture) looks like only a thin steel plate. But I really know little else about these specific products.

Can anyone provide any insight or opinions on these two? I'm really looking into this as a replacement for a worn factory mechanism so reduced shift throw is more of a extra bonus rather than a desire.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Short Shifter as Replacement

If you have a lot of side to side slop in the shifter, it is from the actual shift lever, and not the mechanism at the transaxle end. Also, the shift rod where the lever slides through can get worn, which can be fixed with some 7/16" brass tubing cut to size and epoxy'd in the rod. I would replace the lever as well, as it is about 45 bucks. The Schnell short shifter is pretty decent, I don't have any experience with the BP unit.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:35 PM

My shifter has alot of side to side slop (As in left to right but not front to back) and will sort of flop to one side or the other when in neutral. But checking where the shift rod slides into the actual gear shift lever (Handle) there doesn't seem to be much play at all.

So I had someone rock the shifter left and right while I climbed under the car to watch the mechanism on the transaxle. When they rocked the shifter left and right I saw alot of play and looseness in the pivot that connects this shift rod to the intermediate shift lever on the transmission itself. The pivot being the part that is not labeled in this diagram, the one surrounded by the washers or bushings labeled #21.

I have heard that this piece is made out of plastic and apparently isn't sold separately from the whole unit.

This is why I'm guessing it is because of the mechanism on the transaxle but any insight will help.

As for the Schnell, is it a fairly easy installation? That is should it just bolt into place pretty easily without any other modifications other then adjustments?

Old 02-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Liftereyes

My shifter has alot of side to side slop (As in left to right but not front to back) and will sort of flop to one side or the other when in neutral. But checking where the shift rod slides into the actual gear shift lever (Handle) there doesn't seem to be much play at all.

So I had someone rock the shifter left and right while I climbed under the car to watch the mechanism on the transaxle. When they rocked the shifter left and right I saw alot of play and looseness in the pivot that connects this shift rod to the intermediate shift lever on the transmission itself. The pivot being the part that is not labeled in this diagram, the one surrounded by the washers or bushings labeled #21.

I have heard that this piece is made out of plastic and apparently isn't sold separately from the whole unit.

This is why I'm guessing it is because of the mechanism on the transaxle but any insight will help.

As for the Schnell, is it a fairly easy installation? That is should it just bolt into place pretty easily without any other modifications other then adjustments?
Yup, very straight forward install. Shouldn't take but a few minutes. Make sure to safety wire the pinch bolt, and use red locktite on the other bolts, or they will work themselves loose.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:28 AM

In reference to the worn shift lever repair, would you say it is better to epoxy the brass tube inside of the shift rod or on the worn shifter pin itself?

Also, would white lithium grease be too thin for this application?

Thanks for your help.