Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

should i get an 84 944

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Default RE: should i get an 84 944

ORIGINAL: deranged

THanks a lot to everyone who helped me out. I spend three hours studying the car with a mechanic today and I don't think I'll be able to afford it right now. The guy selling it to me genuinely thought it was a good deal, he was quite surpirsed and anxious to find out about everything i listed from your replies. Well, anyhow, maybe in a year and a half when I get more money I will buy one. It was funny, he had been driving it everywhere and after we visited the mechanic, he decided to leave it alone till he got the clutch and timing belt done...lets see how it goes...
Well, I am sorry to hear that you didn't buy that particular car that you longed for, but I think you did the right thing. Another one, in much better shape, is in your future. Don't give up!

Old 03-22-2005, 06:39 PM

I'd be really interested in hearing the results of a compression test on your car, xtraxstar. I'd be willing to bet you have at least one bent intake and two bent exhaust valves. I *have* heard of one other guy who swore he broke his timing belt but did't bend any valves, but I am rather skeptical. I have personally seen too many broken belts and the resultant bent valves and smiley faced piston tops to believe it.

Regards,

Old 03-22-2005, 09:29 PM

I've actually had a belt snap on an interference engine and got out without damage to the engine - but it wasn't on a 944. So I "suppose" it's possible, but you'd have to be the luckiest human alive. On mine I was stopped at a light when it went, so low rpms saved the day.
Not trying to be pissy here but... xtraxstar, if you did research for a year then you should have known to replace the belt before you did anything else. And as for the Haynes manual, it's great for sitting on to protect your butt when you're working on the car. Other than that, it's pretty useless. Most everything you really want to do comes with the "see your local dealer because special tools are required" crap. [:@]

Old 03-23-2005, 12:00 AM

Actually, the Haynes isn't the worst thing you could have, it has some decent pics and descriptions, but its nothing you can't find in better detail on Clarks web site or by posting on Rennlist. The FSM isn't really geared towards the backyard mechanic or hobbyist, it assumes a certain level of competence and can be a bt intimidating if you are just getting into this. The FSM certainly has better info tho, and I can't imagine relying on just a Haynes.

I had a friend bring me a car that had snapped the timing belt and had a mechanic just throw a replacement on it. After driving it for about 2-3k miles, it was way down on power and didn't feel "right", so he had me check it out. Compression check showed the bad news, and he wound up beating the hell out of his head since the bent valves weren't seating properly.

Regards,