Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

sloppy when accel/deccel

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Default sloppy when accel/deccel

Looking to buy a 1988 944. Smooth start and engine runs great....big problem is (I think) that when you accelerate or deccelerate something seems to mooove like a big slunk before power is felt. I got under the car and the transmission seems to move pretty easily with my foot. Movement within the trans mount is visible. Also there is a popping on the left back side which I suspect is a CV joint problem. The car shifts fine, gears engage well, and no vibration is felt anywhere when driving, just the big slunk when giving gas and letting off, especially in lower gears. What chance is it that the transmission mount is bad?or does it sound like the rubber clutch disc? What is the difference in symptoms between bad ring and pinion gears, bad mounts, blown rubber clutch disc, and loose driveshaft bearings. Please help. Is this car model more prone to small failures? I like the naturally aspirated aspect of the car....less moving parts, moreover, I am looking for the model 944 that is most simple, I guess, more reliable? What are your thoughts on the computer controlled fuel and engine management systems. I really want a bulletproof model that lacks bugs, even at the expense of giving up some power? They are fun to drive and I'm hooked!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Default RE: sloppy when accel/deccel

Sounds like the rubber clutch disk. I have a 944S2 Cab and your description matches mine. Subsequent repair, 1700K. Eventually, or so my mechanic says, all models with rubber clutch parts are going to go.