Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Transaxle Details Please...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Default Transaxle Details Please...

I've searched a little and didn't find exactly what I was looking for... So the story is, I have this very nicely built aircooled VW engine ready for a turbo setup and a spare VW Rabbit just lying around. Of course I'd like to keep it in the family by using a Porsche 924/944manual transaxle to put the power down. The problem is, I've never seen one in person so I only have speculation as to how this thing is set up. The mounting and shortening of componentsshouldn't be a problem but I need to know a few things about how they work. From the pictures of the actual transaxles I've seen, it hasa bell housing, which would lead me to believe the clutch is out back as well. Is this the case? Also, is the clutch on these hydraulic or cable accuated? Is the shifting mechanism cable or mechanical? I just want to weigh out the amount of work that will be needed between one of these and something like a Corvette or Jaguar unit. Any help in the matter would be much appreciated.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Transaxle Details Please...

No, the clutch is on the back of the engine, then there is a torque tube that runs back to the rear mounted transaxle. Clutch is hydraulic. Shift mechanism is mechanical.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:28 PM

Thanks Doc. That helped me out quite a bit.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:35 PM

I wanted to bump this back up because I'm an idiot when it comes to these transmissions... I need something that will reliably handle over 250ft/lbs wtq and I don't know what to choose. Can anyone give me a rundown of years and models that will deal with the stress?

Old 06-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Are you planning on dropping the clutch a lot? If so, none of them will hold up.

S2 tranny or a 944 Turbo S transaxle will be the most durable.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:49 AM

You following me Doc?

So what you're telling me is the 944 Turbo S tranny can't handle much more than what the engine it came with puts out stock? Is it basically the same tranny as the 944S but with hardened 1st/2nd and an external cooler?

Old 06-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

250ftlbs isnt a huge amount of torque, most of the transaxles will take it. Hell, a standard turbo tranny will take that. The turbo S has the hardened 1st and 2nd, and the S2 has the hardened R&P and shorter gears, which is why I would choose those first if you can find them. If you can't then get a standard turbo tranny, it will still hold up, unless you are doing clutch drops, of which the R&P will not hold up to over time. I wouldn't bother with an standard 8v NA transaxle.

And I am everywhere, lol.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Oh, and I run an S2 tranny in my turbo. It gets off the line faster, and has quicker acceleration than the old turbo tranny I took out. You won't have the top speed like the turbo tranny (unless you swap 5th gear), but it should still push to about 140-145.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:02 PM

Basically they're pretty much the same for all the turbo cars minus the hardened parts and different gear ratios then... Is there a site out there with tranny codes and respective gear ratios or should I just pick up a manual (which I'll end up doing anyhow)? Been a big help Doc, thanks bud.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

S2 Transaxle:
1st 3.5
2nd 2.059
3rd 1.4
4th 1.034
5th .778
Reverse 3.5
Final drive ratio 3.875

Quick Reply: Transaxle Details Please...