Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

turbo a N/A?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Default turbo a N/A?

Is it possiable to get the parts off a stock 944 turbo and mount them directly to a 944 na? If not whats the easyst/cheapest way to up a turbo in? Or is there no real good way?

Also what is the difference between the 944 and the 944S? Where did porsche get the extra 30hp, and is it possiable to get that extra boost from a standard one?

Old 02-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: turbo a N/A?

The S uses a 16 valve head vs. the 8 valve head, so that is part of it. There is no straight swap of turbo parts to an NA without exploding the engine. Do a search, it has been beat to death.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:27 AM

A few years ago, i asked the same question, the best answer i got was this:
The easiest and cheapest way to turbo a 944 n/a is to sell it a buy a '44 turbo...That's not really helpful though. I'm now a mechanical engineering student and have access to a full on machine shop, so I'm thinking about doing it now. I fell across a turbo from a mitsubishi 3000gt, and i think that would be perfect, now all i need to do is design and build my own custom exhaust headers and intake manifold, figure out a good way to get rid of that damn barn-door AFM, build a remapable DME/computer thingy, and reinforce the engine cylinders...and vua la!! A turbo 944!! yeah, sounds easy (not really), but the math, labor, time, and educational experience will be well worth it for me. Plus, if I do it all myself, which i will be (conceptually) able to, it won't be too much money.
From the research i've done, the intake and exhaust wont bolt straight to a 944 n/a, so you'd have to figure a way around that. Furthermore, if you get enough boost, the stock AFM and computer will max out on how much air it measures, and not put enough fuel in...going lean=complete engine destruction!!! The solution to that would be an aftermarket fuel management system. The cheapest way to go with that, from what i understand, is the MegaSquirt. Its a cool little put-it-together-yourself kit that will get rid of the barn door AMF and DME, and you can hook it up to a laptop to do custom fuel mapping--~$300. There are much better ones out there, but they are much more expensive ($800-$2000). So once that's all done, you'll still need to do your suspension, sway-bars, and breaks. So unless your really crazy (like me) then I wouldn't recomend it. Obviously, there is quite a bit more than this to turbo a car, but to give you an idea, thats what it takes, and there are no kits out there that will do it for you, which stinks. Have fun.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Here is a list of the items i compied that you would need. I don't have everything on there, but it will show that you need a lot more than just exhaust and a turbo to make this happen.

An idea of all the things you would need, include, but i know i am forgetting alot:
All new coolant hoses for 951 turbo setup
Turbo coolant tank (there is an extra nipple on it)
Turbo
Turbo Cooling pump
Turbo motor mount with oil return line
Oil feed line with o rings
Oil air seperator with line to engine
Crossover pipes
Turbo Head, pistons, rods
Rod bearings (Since you will be in there)
Main bearings (Since you will be in there)
Downpipe
Exhaust from downpipe all the way back
Wastegate
Wastegate dump tube
All exhaust gaskets and hardware
951 DME and KLR
951 injectors
951 clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, etc
951 tranny eventually
Turbo water pump
I believe you need a 951 radiator as well
Not sure if the O2 sensor is the same
Intake manifold
Throttle body
Intercooler
Intercooler piping
Manual boost controller and various vacuum lines
Boost gauge
Drilling the block and pan for associated oil lines for turbo.
FPR
951 maf and J boot.
Heat shields (one of which also serves as a mounting bracket for the intake)

Old 02-22-2006, 06:26 PM

yeah, obviously what i wrote was nothing near comprehensive, but just as an idea, there is a lot to be done to turbo-ing any car, but for the porsche, you can't just bolt on 951 parts and expect it to run...I suppose you could do an engine swap, but the 951 has significant differences than the 944 n/a. As for me, i dont like water cooled turbos too much. The turbo i have is oil cooled, which is pretty much the standerd now, which means getting oil coolers, air seperaters, bungs, taps, etc. will be pretty easy. I was also thinking, just to make things fun and different, of having a completely independant turbo oil system from the engine. Have it run on an electric oil pump and have separate "turbo oil" temp sensor. This would allow me to automatically keep oil going through the turbo even after the engine is off. That way i wouldn't have to sit in the car for a minute every time i park, and i wouldn't have to do that goofy turbo-timer thing. Just a thought. Anyways, lots of custom fabrication is in my far future.

Old 03-22-2006, 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: mzman

Is it possiable to get the parts off a stock 944 turbo and mount them directly to a 944 na? If not whats the easyst/cheapest way to up a turbo in? Or is there no real good way?

Also what is the difference between the 944 and the 944S? Where did porsche get the extra 30hp, and is it possiable to get that extra boost from a standard one?
First a 944 is a 10.9:1 Compression with 70Lbs valve Springs vs. 951 is a 8:1 Compression with 90Lbs valve springs. As well as there is a oiler that comes out of the Upper balance shaft that goes to the turbo as well as the different radiator as well as a eleectric radiator pump for the turbo, as well as the DME & KLR are differnt and the tranny has a diferent gear ratio for a Turbo. Quite a bit of difference.

944 and 944S Suspension set up and computer Now if it is an S2 then it has the duel cam and is an 16Valve car. Porsche got the extra HP out of a bigger turbo and redoing the computer making the car a bit more effecient as well as a different gear ratio after 88 all 951 as S Meaning "Super" 2 meaning 16 Valve.

SThere were no significant changes to the 944 Turbo until the middle of the 1988 model year. One minor change involved changing the chip arrangement in the DME unit. Earlier 944 Turbos (86/87) have a DME with a 24-pin chip. Beginning with the 1988 model year, a DME with a 28-pin chip was installed. It's not exactly clear why this change was made, but it has been rumored that it was in anticipation that more control features were going to be added to later models. At any rate, the 1988 DMEs received the same map as the early cars and I've been told that the extra 4 pins on later DMEs were never used.

In 1988½ Porsche introduced a new 944 Turbo which was designated as a 944 Turbo S. The first example of the 944 Turbo S were a limited production run. Exact numbers on the limited production 951 S cars varies, but seem to be between 750 and 1000. All of the limited production vehicles came with a Silver Rose Metallic exterior and burgundy plaid cloth interior.

The Turbo S received the M 44.52 engine as opposed to the M 44.51 engine of the earlier models. The engine itself remained essentially unchanged from the early 1988 models. However, the turbocharger was changed to a K-26#8. The Turbo S was electronically limited to the same maximum boost (1.75 bar) as the early 944 Turbos. Also both models achieve maximum boost at approximately 3000 rpm. However, the K-26#8 turbocharger was capable of maintaining maximum boost until 5800 rpm while the boost on the early turbos would decrease from 1.75 bar at 3000 rpm to 1.52 bar at 5800 rpm. This resulted in a 30 hp increase in peak horsepower and a 15 ft-lb. Increase in peak torque.

Performance Comparisons 944 Turbo (M 44.51)
944 Turbo S (M 44.52)

Horsepower
217 HP @ 5800 rpm
247 HP @ 6000 rpm

Torque
243 ft-lbs. @ 3500 rpm
258 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm

0-60 mph
6.1 sec.
5.5 sec.

Top Speed
152 mph
162 mph

The Turbo S transaxle came standard with a limited slip differential. However, there were improvements to the differential over previous models. The Turbo S differentials have inner plates which are 2.5 mm thick as opposed to 2.0 mm on earlier models. This required the two differential thrust rings to be made 0.5 mm thinner for the same overall thickness. Also, the inner plate and differential shafts are molybdenum coated for additional hardness. The clutch had a two-stage torsional spring damper with the friction material being bonded and riveted to the clutch disc instead of just rivets on earlier models.

The wheels on the Turbos were milled forged 7J x 16 in front and 9J x 16 in the rear (52.3 mm offset). The tires were 225/50 VR 16s in front and 245/45 VR 16s in the rear. The M 030 suspension package was standard equipment on the Turbo S models as well as ABS.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: NiNeR_FiFe_WoN

944 and 944S Suspension set up and computer Now if it is an S2 then it has the duel cam and is an 16Valve car. Porsche got the extra HP out of a bigger turbo and redoing the computer making the car a bit more effecient as well as a different gear ratio after 88 all 951 as S Meaning "Super" 2 meaning 16 Valve.

However, the K-26#8 turbocharger was capable of maintaining maximum boost until 5800 rpm while the boost on the early turbos would decrease from 1.75 bar at 3000 rpm to 1.52 bar at 5800 rpm. This resulted in a 30 hp increase in peak horsepower and a 15 ft-lb. Increase in peak torque.

Ok, having a hard time following your sentences, but the Turbo S did not have a 16 valve head, it has an 8 valve head, just as the earlier year turbos did, but as you said runs the K26/8 turbo. The S and the S2 were the only 16 valve heads offered for the 944. Both were non-turbo.

The 944 Turbo does not make 1.75 bar stock, it makes about .75 bar. The dash gauge reads absolute pressure of 1 bar, then your boost is anything over that. 1.75bar would mean the turbo is making 25psi of boost stock. Even highly modified 944's are not running that much boost. Stock boost was around 12lbs.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:14 PM

Well that is a given for a person who understands that what BAR in in a 951 means. Thank you for the explination that I have heard a billion times now.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: PorscheDoc

ORIGINAL: NiNeR_FiFe_WoN

However, the K-26#8 turbocharger was capable of maintaining maximum boost until 5800 rpm while the boost on the early turbos would decrease from 1.75 bar at 3000 rpm to 1.52 bar at 5800 rpm. This resulted in a 30 hp increase in peak horsepower and a 15 ft-lb. Increase in peak torque.

Ok, having a hard time following your sentences, but the Turbo S did not have a 16 valve head, it has an 8 valve head, just as the earlier year turbos did, but as you said runs the K26/8 turbo. The S and the S2 were the only 16 valve heads offered for the 944. Both were non-turbo.

The 944 Turbo does not make 1.75 bar stock, it makes about .75 bar. The dash gauge reads absolute pressure of 1 bar, then your boost is anything over that. 1.75bar would mean the turbo is making 25psi of boost stock. Even highly modified 944's are not running that much boost. Stock boost was around 12lbs.
That explination can be found in www.Clarks-Garage.com! Thanks it is a given for a person who understands what BAR in the a 951 means. Thank you for the explination that I have heard a billion times now. Have Fun!!!!
PORSCHDOC:
There never was an 16 valve head for a 951 however 944's and 951's can be S (super) however there is no such thing as a 951S2 as that has Twin cams and 16 valves!
Why would Porsche need to name a 944 S & S2 if there is no difference? What is the difference between an 944S & 944S2?

Old 03-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

The S is a 2.5L motor with a 16valve head, non turbo. It is virtually identical to the 944NA, with the exception of the head/intake. The S2 is a 3.0L motor with a 16 valve head non turbo. The S2 also had bigger sway bars, etc. You are correct, there is a 944 Turbo S (951S), but like I said, it does not have the 16 valve head, it has an 8 valve head with a larger turbo, bigger brakes, etc.

Quick Reply: turbo a N/A?