Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Wheel alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Default Wheel alignment question

After spending an inordinate amount of money to bring my 87 944 up to "reliable" condition I have a question. I used the Porsche dealer here to do the repairs and after a "glowing" recommendation by the shop manager of his personnel, I had the shocks replaced with Koni Sport units. This, of course, involved converting the struts and doing a complete re-alignment. Prior to the work, the camber was not a problem but afterwards, the alignment tech said that he was unable to get the camber right and had to compromise between two extremes and the car now pulls to the left. He stated that a camber "kit" was available to fix the problem.I wonder if he really knows his stuff, since this problem didn't exist before the suspension was worked on and how I might approach getting it right. Any ideas?

Old 02-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Wheel alignment question

Has the car been hit before? I find it odd that they wouldn't come back into spec on the camber. Do you have the specs that the car was aligned to? Seems having to use camber plates is a bit odd on a stock sport suspension.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:39 PM

I'm going in to the porsche dealer for correction of the alignment tomorrow. I can't believe they can't seem to get it right. It wasn't out before the Koni's were installed. What exactly is adjusted on the suspension to bring the camber back into spec? My Haines manual doesn't address this issue. Do you know what the proper "ride height" is and where it is measured? I was thinking that this might be a factor but I'm not totally conviced of that since the camber is out to the outside on the left and inside on the right. It's real obvious.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:26 PM

Finally got resolution on my camber problem. The tech said when he initially tried to adjust the camber concentric nut, it didn't go very far. Turns out the nut was binding and all he had to do was put a little more force on it to get the adjustment completed. He was afraid to put too much force on the nut. All is well now.