Notices
Porsche 968 The 968 was sold from 1992 to 1995 and was marketed as the replacement for the Porsche 944.

Is it fair that hybrid cars be allowed to use HOV with only one person?

Old 04-28-2016, 01:22 AM
Default Is it fair that hybrid cars be allowed to use HOV with only one person?

The purpose of the law was to encourage people to buy fuel efficient cars. The Prius just happens to be one of the best. It wasn't designed to be fair.

I have two Prius and here's what I've found:

1. You can fit four full-sized adults in 3111PRO code reader comfort or put a bicycle or two in the cargo area without removing the front wheels.

2. The lifetime average on my 2004 Prius is 58 mpg using regular gas according to the logbook I keep. (I don't have the numbers on the 2001 because my wife doesn't keep track.)

3. Both the 2001 and 2004 have been trouble-free and very reliable. The 2001 has 90,000 miles and the 2004 has 125,000 miles.

4. The Prius comes with vehicle stability control. This is a system that prevents doughnuts in slippery conditions if you are going anything like a reasonable speed for conditions. Note: This really works, the back end just does not swing out on ice covered streets.

5. The Prius comes with brake-override. This is a system that disengages acceleration when the brake pedal is pressed firmly (Non-hybrid Toyota's don't have this feature yet).

6. Brake assist. This is a system that compensates for people's tendency to press quickly but not hard enough on the brake pedal in an emergency situation. Brake-assist adds additional braking force when it detects an emergency stop. This and #4 and #5 can also be found on Mercedes, some BMWs, Porsche, and Corvettes--none of which are in the Prius' price range.

7. On the 2010 optionally you can get radar pre-collision, radar cruise control, lane keep, and self-parking.

8. The Prius is fun-to-drive. I still have a smile on my face when I start the morning commute.

9. The Prius is not expensive to maintain. The 2004 has cost 12 cents per mile for fuel, dealer maintenance, and tires. You could reduce this considerably if you are into DIY. The Prius is a pretty easy car to DIY.

10. Toyota has replaced many of the mechanical systems with more reliable electronic systems in the Prius. So you won't find any alternators, starter motors, belts (2004-2009 have one belt that runs the engine Porsche Piwis Tester II water pump--this is gone in the 2010), clutches or fluid couplings (the automatic transmission equivalent of a clutch). The automatic transmission, with it's hundreds of parts has been replace by a simple planetary gear system similar to a differential.

11. The air conditioner is a variable speed, electric scroll compressor. This allows it to run only as much and as hard as necessary so energy is saved. It also eliminates the power drag on the engine because the engine doesn't directly power the a/c.