Notices
Porsche Boxster Porsche's smallest and least expensive sports car model,the Boxster is a convertible sports car released in late 1996.

Coolant leak at front left corner

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Default Coolant leak at front left corner

I JUST brought home my '01 Boxster with 29,ooo miles on it. A few hours later there was a saucer sized damp spot under the front left headlight area, which I identified as antifreeze. That's somewhere around the back of the radiator there, and I'm PRAYING that it's a loose hose connection or something like that.
Does anyone know how hard it is to get into that area in order to check it out. I can afford the car, but not the Porsche mechanic just now!!!!!
Thanks, Bob

Old 01-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Default RE: Coolant leak at front left corner

The car is now garaged for the winter and I finally got around to disassembling it. There is a plastic "locator" on the front of the radiator molded into the plastic end cap of the radiator that is attached to a body bracket. Appears that the previous owner somehow pounded the bottom of the plastic bumper (some kind of curb thing without scraping up the underside of the nose much) which shoved the radiator upward and the locator was stressed badly, causing a crack in the radiator end cap. Because of the plastic bushing that the locator goes through, and the horizontal lengthing of the radiator as it heats pushing it tightly against the the bracket, the leakage was minimal as the car got to full operating temp. Also shattered the bottom of the air scoop out of sight from outside the car.
Radiator = $235. Scoop = $105. Time for a coolant change. As a DIY project, it's not too bad. And a good chance to clean out the radiator road debris.
Thanks, Bob