Notices
Porsche Boxster Porsche's smallest and least expensive sports car model,the Boxster is a convertible sports car released in late 1996.

oil change

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Default RE: oil change

If that is labor and all they are doing it cheap. The oil cost more than that. At least it does here anyways.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Smith Motorworks

If that is labor and all they are doing it cheap. The oil cost more than that. At least it does here anyways.
Same here, they are kicking our ***** on oil changes. Oh well, thats all they get anymore, lol.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:30 AM

is it possible to change the oil yourself or is their something special you have to do. i mean becasue it is a 98 and i am sure your warrenty and special severcies are up.... i could see if it was brand new or a year old i would pay for it..

Old 09-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: mikey884

is it possible to change the oil yourself or is their something special you have to do. i mean becasue it is a 98 and i am sure your warrenty and special severcies are up.... i could see if it was brand new or a year old i would pay for it..
The link to the writeup is farther up in this post....It is incredibly easy.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:27 AM

I brought my 2003 Boxster for the 15,000 mile service/oil change. The dealer told it was not a simple oil change. My Porsche needs the suspension to be lubricated and all fluids checked. The top needs to be checked also. He told me $726.00 for the service. I left and took it to my mechanic. $80 to do all the work and he laughed about lubricating my suspension! My mechanic also checked all the fluids (took him about 2 minutes). Brakes were checked and he sent me off with $646 still in my pocket.

The moral of the story, watch out for the dealers. This isn't the first time they've tried to overcharge me.

Greg

Old 01-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: dic_camarillo

I brought my 2003 Boxster for the 15,000 mile service/oil change. The dealer told it was not a simple oil change. My Porsche needs the suspension to be lubricated and all fluids checked. The top needs to be checked also. He told me $726.00 for the service. I left and took it to my mechanic. $80 to do all the work and he laughed about lubricating my suspension! My mechanic also checked all the fluids (took him about 2 minutes). Brakes were checked and he sent me off with $646 still in my pocket.

The moral of the story, watch out for the dealers. This isn't the first time they've tried to overcharge me.

Greg
Unfortunetly they take advantage of a lot of people who wouldn't know any better Us independant shops are the way to go sometimes

Old 01-05-2007, 03:52 AM

I am also a technician but I work on hevy equipments. I can share a similar story about the dealer. I took one of my familys company service truck for an oil change at the dealer because it was still under warranty but I drew a small white line with white paint markeron where the engine is connected to the oil filter. They said that they changed the oil but the white line are still connected and the oil filter was untouched. Im not saying that all dealers will try and cheat you (especially cars such as porsches) but there are people that take advantage.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:12 AM

I just read another post, where the dealer was charging $900 for 2 front tires and alignment? They also were quoted crazy prices for other repairs. I think its so important to find a good mechanic at an independent shop. You don't have to pay for all the overhead and a good mechanic will repair what needs to be repaired and not bump your bill for extra $$.

Greg

Old 03-28-2007, 05:20 PM

hey doc

I'm about to do my 1st oil change on my car....I mean its the 1st time I'm doing it [sm=helpout.gif]

anyway...should I go to a Porsche dealer for the Mahle Filter and Crush seal....or will any auto parts store have them?

Thanks again!! wish me luck
kim

Old 03-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BrnEyzR1

hey doc

I'm about to do my 1st oil change on my car....I mean its the 1st time I'm doing it

anyway...should I go to a Porsche dealer for the Mahle or Porsche Filter and Crush seal....or will any auto parts store have them?

Thanks again!! wish me luck
kim
Definitely get the Mahle Filter or Porsche filter (it will come with a new o ring) and Crush Seal. IIRC, they are about $20 from the dealer. Part number is 996.107.225.53 or OC-128 Mahle.

Quick Reply: oil change