Notices
Porsche Boxster Porsche's smallest and least expensive sports car model,the Boxster is a convertible sports car released in late 1996.

Porsche Boxster A/C return line

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Default Porsche Boxster A/C return line

The A/C system in my Boxster does cool the air slightly, but completely insufficienty. I've had the system completely inspected, and I was told that everything in the system is correct (freon mass, all components, etc.) except for a crimp in the A/C low pressure return line from the evaporator to the compressor. This crimp was there when I purchased the car and looks to have been caused by the improper placing of a jack under the side of the car. I was able to partially remove the crimp and improve the A/C performance slightly, but this still appears to be a problem. I've searched the internet for a replacement part for this line and I can't seem to find the precise part.
Does anybody here know of a good resource for Boxster parts or a place to find good used parts? Also, does anybody know what part number this would be?
Thanks

Old 06-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

I have seen those lines crimped more than I can count, but I don't think they have ever affected the cooling. I would find one used at DC automotive, Oklahoma Foreign, or Parts heaven which are all Porsche parts dismantlers.

What are the outside temps when you are having the problem? The AC system can only cool the car down a certain amount over the ambient temperature outside. Not that these numbers are exact, but for example, on a 100 degree day, it may only be able to cool down the car to 75 degrees in the cabin, where as on a 80 degree day, it can probably cool it down to the low to mid 50's.

Also overcharging the system with 134a can cause it to not cool as well.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:03 PM

Yes, I was told that the crimping is a common problem, and I felt that since I couldn't feel the temperature difference in the pipe across the crimp (i.e. if there is a significant pressure drop, I surmised that there should be a significant temperature change), I thought that it couldn't be the problem any longer. And if it is so common a problem, why is it that none of the parts distributors I've looked up carry this part? I mean they carry the most obscure parts, but why not this one?

However, the shop (Executive Automotive in Santa Fe, NM) did test the system for leaks by evacuating and measuring the freon, and I was told that it contains exactly the amount it's supposed to. So unless they are lying to me, it doesn't seem like an overcharge issue.

Since the car is a convertible, the only time I would want to use the A/C is when it is really hot (and thus drive with the top up), and here in New Mexico it does get up close to 100 these days. But my other car (a VW GTI) cools off no problem even in the extreme heat. Regardless, if I can't improve it, it is useless as it would be more comfortable to open the windows.

I know that I won't be spending close to $1000 on it as I would only use the A/C perhaps 10 hours a year. This is the only problem with this car.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Have they hooked up the PIWIS to the car to check the status of the AC module and check for codes? They can look up AC codes similar to a check engine light, if something is out of spec, then it should pop a code. For example, maybe there is a problem with the AC temp sensor. Note, if they are not a specific Porsche shop, then chances are they won't have a PIWIS and I would suggest taking it to a dealer or Porsche independent shop who has one. Unfortunately, I was just in Santa Fe a few weeks ago and don't recall seeing a Porsche Dealer.