Notices
Porsche Boxster Porsche's smallest and least expensive sports car model,the Boxster is a convertible sports car released in late 1996.

RPM flactuating after warm up

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:48 AM
Default RPM flactuating after warm up

Hello everyone, I havent been able to post or log on for awhile due to increased ours in work and freelance gigs. Ive posted before about my codes (forgot what the codes are). The codes are gone after I replaced the MAF.. this is awhile back maybe about 8 months ago. I did some research and a few things I found out is you have to drive it awhile for the system to reset. I drive my car once or twice a week mostly on weekends and the RPM still flactuates (like the engine is going to die). I checked the exshaust for leaks and found a leak in the muffler joint which I fixed but the problem remains. Its also making my dash display (ie. odometer, time, etc) flicker and now completely burnet.. well it lights up sometimes but most time its blank.
it also seems to go away when I put the AC on blast.

what could be causing this?

also another question.. I usedan OBD readerto erase a codeon my gfs pick up andthen I used it to erase mines (during the time I replaced the MAF). A few months ago the code on my gfs pick up appeared on my boxster.. I erased it and a few weeks ago it appeared again..

could the codes transfer via OBD reader from car to car? ( code was a cylinder 4 misfire)

cars a 2000 boxster... any thoughts would be appreciated
thanks, Ivan

Old 11-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: RPM flactuating after warm up

No, the codes can not transfer to your car, but a cylinder misfire would explain the hunting idle. Could have a bad coil pack on cylinder 4.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:34 PM

Hey porsche doc. Glad your still here helping ppl. Yeah I thought not. after all the code reader I have doesnt retain memory. What actions do you recommend I take..Im gonna change the spark plugs one of these coming weekends. I wanna rid this problem once and for all. Is there a way i can tell if its the coil pack?
thanks again porsche doc.

regards, Ivan

Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 PM

porsche doc? anyone?