Notices
Porsche Boxster Porsche's smallest and least expensive sports car model,the Boxster is a convertible sports car released in late 1996.

Tiptronic Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Default Tiptronic Question

Hi! I was wondering if any of you could help me with a question on the Porsche Tiptronic system? So, I'm told that the 2006 Boxster does around 5.8 secs in manualfor 0-60 and 6.7 secs in automatic. I assume, however, that the latter figure was obtained with the Tiptronic trans in Auto mode? Supposed you manually shifted using the manual shift Tiptronic feature; would this results in faster times/better performance? Or, is the difference in performance numbers btw the MT and Tiptronic due solely to losses from the torque converter system?

Thanks so much!

cheers,
suntan

Old 06-20-2007, 04:31 AM
Default RE: Tiptronic Question

I can only go by the reports of tests in magazines like Road and Track and Car and Driver, which always report that for Porsches and many other auto-shift cars, leaving a Tip in auto mode is the fastest (let the computer do the work). My own experience with my car (no timed test results) is the trans shift right at the red line and right now when the car is floored.

However, I am not certain your data is correct, the 5.8 second figure seems a bit high but feasible for a standard (non S) current model (I'd guess 5.7 seconds), but a.9 second gap for the Tiptronic seems way too long: you might be comparing the time ofan older, lower powered model. Most typically the Tip costs about .2-.4 seconds. I know my 3.6 liter 320 HP Carrera with a Tip is just about even to 60 with my neighbor's 3.4 liter 295 HP '06 Boxster S M6 (minejumps off the line half a length faster due to no wheelspin, then falls a length behind and slowly gains it back as he shifts--by third they are even, and, at least to around 95 mph, they stay even). I realize the cars are not quite the same weight but I think the Tip takes about 20 HP worth of power is all.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:21 PM

Hi, Lee! Thanks so much for your response! I just took the numbers off the Porsche site (http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/bo...turesandspecs/):

__________________________________________________ ___

Manual
Tiptronic S

Performance
Top Track Speed
160 mph
156 mph

0-60 mph
5.8 s
6.7 s
__________________________________________________ ___

I'm actually a current bimmer owner, but there was a really nice 2006 Boxster with a Tiptronic at a local dealership and they appeared pretty eager to get rid of it. I test drove it (though not what I would call extensively), and I found the Boxster to be, surprisingly,a lot less responsive than the Z4 3.0si even though both were automatic (the Z4 has both a Sport button as well as a Sport transmission option that you can engage though), both are around the same weight (just above 3000 lbs), and the difference between the two in terms of HP was like 15 (not much at all). I do have to say though that the Boxster felt more solidly built all-around and made me feel safer, but, honestly, I found the Z4 more fun to drive with much better off-the-line performance. I really like the Boxster though, so I'm going to go test drive a 2005 Boxster S with manual transmission this weekend. That would fit in my price range, but my wife's going to complain about the transmission choice...sigh. Incidentally, if you live in or around the Boston area and have a trusted mechanic you could recommend, I would very much appreciate that!

cheers,
suntan

Old 06-21-2007, 04:31 PM

Maybe they gear the little buggers different, because an auto just shouldn't make that much of a difference alone. Could that time be for full automatic -- i.e., left in auto the car starts in 2nd gear. Don't know the 0-60 time but my Carrera does the quarter in 13.5 if I put it down into 1st manually but then let it shift automatically, butjust barely under 14if I let it start out in 2nd as it's normally wont to do: that would translate to about a 3.-.4 difference in 60 time so maybe that's it. The 60 foot time is way different (I can't remember but in 2nd the thing is a slug off the line as you would expect).
I think a local track near here has a radar tracker service charge of like $15 for a full acceleration print out through the quarter. I might check the car both ways this weekend - gives me something to do with the Porsche at the track -- normally its sort of boring to run: just stomp the throttle and point it straight -- never spins its wheels, always does within a 1/20th sec of 13.5 one way of the other, but gets routinely beat by Evos and STis and leven ightly modded 8-year old Camaros driven by 18 year old kids.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:31 AM

Hey, Lee, yeah, I was wondering the same thing - whether the relatively slow times compared to the stick are a result of starting in 2nd. It would be great to find out if you're planning to track your car this weekend. Please do post your results. If all I'm trading off is the need to downshift to 1st auto-manually at every stopand just .5 secs in exchange for a happy spouse....erm....actually, that may or may not be worth it... The other possibility is that Porsche puts different (quality?) Tiptronics in the Carrera and the Boxsters so the latter doesn't perform as well maybe? I doubt that this is the case, but BMW, for instance, puts transmissions built by different suppliers in different models of the same series. Anyway, hope you have a great time at the track this weekend!

cheers,
suntan

Old 06-23-2007, 01:59 AM

Hi, Suntan. I have a 06 Boxster S Tip, I do want to find out how fast it can go from 0 to 60 in the track.I live in Honolulu, there is no place to test it. You already own a bimmer, why not a Porsche now? Think about it, it is a PORSCHE.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:51 PM

Hey, Tinchao! That's a fabulous looking ride you've got there! Yeah, you really should track it (at least just once) to see what it'll do if and when you get the chance. I would be ecstatic to get into an 05-06 Boxster S Tip (with a Sport button), but I can't find any in my neck of the woods, unfortunately. To be entirely honest, I am cross-shopping the Boxster against either a Z4 3.0si or a Z4 M Roadster. The Z4's are doing so badly sales-wise the dealers here are really wanting to deal. But, you're right, I am quite taken with the Porsche; it's a truly sophisticated looking and smooth driving car. I'm going to be testing out two 2005 Boxster S manual trans next week; should be fun! Hope to be able to join the club soon! [sm=smiley20.gif]

cheers,
suntan

Old 06-24-2007, 07:35 PM

As I said I got a test of:
Starting in 2nd: 0 - 60 in 6.0 seconds and 14.3 in the quarter.
Starting in 1st: 0 - 60 in 5.3 seconds and 13.8 in the quarter.
Air temp was just under 100 deg F so the performance is a bit down--this is definately the slowest the car has ever done in the quarter. I also suspect it needs a new air filter, looks pretty dirty. Still, the 2nd gear start is worthmore than halfsecond. Add, say,four tenths for what is lost from a manual and you have a second.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:41 PM

nice car tin chao, im chinese too. im assuming you are. i bought my 2002 boxster S last memorial day. love the car. i got TIP too. btw i use 89 octane do you guys all use 91-92 or more? you see a difference.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:26 PM

Hi, Lee! Nice! Thanks so much for posting your track times! The Tip results lookvery respectable indeed when starting from 1st. I guess the '05 base Boxster just didn't feel powerful enough to me (totally subjective; no offense intended to Boxster owners). I did, however, test drive a Boxster S. Now, that is a fun car! Between a low-mileage 2nd-hand Boxster S and a brand new Z4 3.0si, I'd have to say the Boxster S wins out. I know, I know, this probably sounds obvious to y'all....but I'm a recovering bimmerhead.... Thanks so much once again, fellas!

cheers,
suntan

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Question