Notices
Porsche Cayenne The Porsche Cayenne is an SUV made by Porsche since 2002.

buyin cayenne s

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Default buyin cayenne s

hi everyone, my moms deciding on a car to buy and she asked me to help her find the best deal. i dont know a whole lot about cars and what to research but i thought maybe you guys could help me just a little, kinda like a start-off momentum, on researchinga car. just a few questions:

1. what other cars are in the cayenne s's class? name anything please
2. what are the cayenne s's problems (mechanical, electrical,issues, etc.)
3. what are your opinions on thecayenne sand why did you get it in the first place

any answers or comments are greatly appreciated.

thank you guys![/align][/align]

Old 12-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Default RE: buyin cayenne s

I own a 2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. I previously owned a BMW X5. I have thoroughly enjoyed my Cayenne Turbo. Other cars in its class include the Lexus RX350, Mercedes ML350 or GL450/500, and BMW X5 (3.0 or 4.8). You can check the website for these various car manufacturers and the specs on the above vehicles.
Additional strengths of the Cayenne include the following:
1) The Cayenne has locking differentials and can go offroad much easier than most of its competitiors, except Range Rover. In other words, it is an AWD system on the road but can be a fulltime 4WD system offroad. I take mine offroad occasionally.
2) The Cayenne can tow 7700 lbs. I tow a trailer with my sports car that weighs together about 7000 lbs. Very few midsized SUVs can tow this much.
3) The Cayenne Turbo (optional with other models, including the S) has a pneumatic air ride height system that allows you to set a low setting on the road. As a result, the SUV rides better.

I had my stereo system replaced recently under warranty. The single disc player would not play but the 6-disc CD did. No other significant issues. A few people have mentioned electrical problems. However, I had some of this in my previous X5. My mother owns a Lexus RX300, and she really likes it. It is a very nice car, but I don't like the way it drives (too soft, loose steering, etc.) but my mother doesn't care about these things. Overall, if your Momis looking for a SUV solely for the road, pick up the kids, get groceries, take vacations...I'd consider a Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes. All now accelerate fine in traffic. I like the BMW X5, and the full warranty BMW offers is fantastic (literally everything is covered!). The Porsche Cayenne is an outstanding all-around SUV, but most buyers will not use its full potential (see above)...so IMHO, there may be better and cheaper choices elsewhere, depending upon your mother's needs.
Hope this helps??

Old 12-13-2007, 05:23 PM

"I own a 2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. I previously owned a BMW X5. I have thoroughly enjoyed my Cayenne Turbo. Other cars in its class include the Lexus RX350, Mercedes ML350 or GL450/500, and BMW X5 (3.0 or 4.8). You can check the website for these various car manufacturers and the specs on the above vehicles."

With all due respect there is nothing that is in the Cayenne's class. There is nothing out there that has the on road drivabilty of a Cayenne yet all the off road capability of a Land Rover. In my opinion to be classified as an SUV you should have a 4 low gear reduction. The Cayenne took it a step further with a locking center dif. Your mother can rest assured knowing that she has the best SUV out there with the Cayenne. She should look at some of the Transyberia Ralley footage or Dakar. Simply the best.

plus...The Cayenne is much more reliable than Merc, BMW and especialy LR.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:24 PM

Sandman, I agree...but most people will have little use for the Cayenne's offroad capability. How many SUV drivers ever take there SUVs offroad? Virtually none! IMHO, I don't think there is anything in its class, but for most people it would be a waste of money. Sure, the Cayenne Turbo is a great road riding vehicle (the Transyberian story is proof), but, considering all the work Porsche put into this vehicle to ensure that it was very offroad capable, not to mention the towing capacity, it would be a waste to buy it simply to drive it on the road. Personally, I'd rather have an RS4 or M5 for the road, if that was my sole purpose.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:55 PM

i was talking to a buddy of mine this weekend about the cayenne and he told me he read an article that MOTORTREND magazine wroteabout the caynne which detailed some negative aspects of the suv. i searched the internet and motortrend's sitebut found nothing. does anyone have info on this? and also, are there any negative articles on the cayenne?
thanks a millionguys.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:34 AM

It looks great and the performance is above average.
But Cayenne is an very expensive option when compared with other SUVs.
Apart from the base price of Cayenne you will need to add a few other options, which make the vehicle an expensive one.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 PM

The poor transmission leads to acceleration lags in Cayenne
Also it’s to too expensive, you can look out for better options.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:43 AM

The transmission is not "poor". When coming to a stop, it automatically defaults to 2nd gear. You can override this by using the "steering wheel shifters." One of the things that I don't like about the Cayenne is because of this default, it sometimes has a lag in its initial accelaration from stop. But it is not because the transmission is faulty just a design feature.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

No other SUV that compares? Try a VW Touareg. They are built in the same factory as the Cayenne off the same platform. You can't beat the V10 TDI engine. Same vehicle, a hell of a lot cheaper.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:59 PM

Really pleased with the performance of VW Touareg.
Offers a good power, comfort and mileage.

Quick Reply: buyin cayenne s