Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Street/Strip (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/street-strip-34/)
-   -   911 C4 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/street-strip-34/911-c4-1196/)

Lee Willis 11-09-2005 09:17 PM

RE: 911 C4

Vettes are very cool. I love mine. But Porsches are very cool, better built, and better engineered by a bit. My 996 Carrera C2 is without doubt the easiest car to live with day to day I've ever owned, except for the effect it has on making other drivers behave like asses. As to the oppposite sex, my wife loves it beyond all rational explanation. She has told me it is her favorite car of all time (we've owned like 33 cars of all types and flavors) and to never get rid of it. She can't drive (bad eyes) so, what is it? She says its sexy and comforting to ride in. Other people are jealous, I know that. But tough.

For me, I love the absolute linear precision of the handling and the power, which IS pretty good.

On the other hand, Vettes, particuarly modified ones, are simply beyond expectation in power. But I drive and enjoy the Porsche more.

jabora 11-10-2005 12:31 PM

You Know, I have never driven a vette!
In fact I havn't even rode in one newer than maybe 89.
There's a pretty new yellow one that drives a similer route.
He always catches up to me on the freeway and waves.
It's really beautiful. We're both in yellow so it looks good at
the light. Other cars will stay back a distance when we pull up
together. It doesn't seem dramatically more powerful?

But there is also a black one nearby...
I don't know what he did to it.
He got on my tail one night and it sounded like a dragon.
I felt like Batman was gonna get me.

My girlfriend likes the Porsche too of course.
She's still mad that it's not an automatic.
Otherwise, I would be in her VW Jetta a lot more than I would like.

Lee Willis 11-10-2005 08:23 PM

They've made vettes since 1953 so there are all sorts of vintages and performance ranges. Generally older ones were faster than about anything made when they were new, but are slower than new vettes. They can still be pretty fast. A 96 (335 HP LT4 engine) is nearly ten years old now but still capable of quarter mile in the low 13s, stock.

The new standard vettes are very quick - quarter mile in mid 12s, unless it is the ZO6 model - 11.6 @ 127!!.

They are pretty nice cars, every year of them, and a lot of fun. But then, so are Porsches or alot of other different cars. Modified ones (sounds like the black Batman one you ran into) are usually loud, and often faster than stock (but sometimes, just load).

jabora 11-11-2005 03:52 PM

I'm pretty sure this guy was The Batman!
Or at least he thinks he is.
From what I could see he looked horny and kind of mean.

LS1fan 10-23-2006 12:24 AM

ORIGINAL: jabora
You Know, I have never driven a vette!
In fact I havn't even rode in one newer than maybe 89.
There's a pretty new yellow one that drives a similer route.
He always catches up to me on the freeway and waves.
It's really beautiful. We're both in yellow so it looks good at
the light. Other cars will stay back a distance when we pull up
together. It doesn't seem dramatically more powerful?

But there is also a black one nearby...
I don't know what he did to it.
He got on my tail one night and it sounded like a dragon.
I felt like Batman was gonna get me.

My girlfriend likes the Porsche too of course.
She's still mad that it's not an automatic.
Otherwise, I would be in her VW Jetta a lot more than I would like.
Be careful, some Vettes will chew you up. Even a stock C5 or C6 is pretty fast but the modded ones will surprise you for sure.

Project 951 10-24-2006 10:56 PM

i'd have to agree. Vettes can be MONSTERS in the performance department when modded, and in stock form the newer ones can rip a 911's head off. Any vette is to be taken seriously, because they are seriously fast cars.

ZR1 03-16-2008 02:21 PM

Im a C4 owner and have played with a few Porsches recently. I have plenty of respect for them (they were both turbos, one heavily boosted).
Fun running up against something thats "close". Ive never gotten anything except a thumbs up or a nod from one when its over either, no attitude.

I always wanted an older Carrera as I dug them as a kid growing up....Came very close to buying a 928S...THere is one running around town here that is light blue, manual with a big blue bottle in his hatch area.
Just dont know enough about them to repair so I passed.