Notices
Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here...

Anyone have these speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Default Anyone have these speakers?

I have a 87 944 with a four speaker system. It is shot and I am looking for new 4 x 6 's. I found the infinity reference 6412 cfp's and the audioBahn as546q's. They both look promising, but I was wondering if either will fit into the shallow locals of the doors. Also if someone has heard them I would be interested in opions of sound quality. I will be using a pioneer head unit and alpine amps. I'm also searching for a good none powered sub and enclosure that fits the car. Any ideas? I have alpine amps for the subs also. Half of my back seat is MIA so I am not opposed to removing the rest of it for the sub install. Let me know what you guys think or speaker models that you know fit.

have a good weekend.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Default RE: Anyone have these speakers?

......Bueller......[:-]

Old 06-11-2008, 09:36 AM

The best thing that I have done in these is to replace the 4x6 with a 4" round speaker. you can make a baffle that will mount to the exisiting holes for the front speaker grilles that will allow you to front mount the speakers. As far as 4" round speakers go, I think the best for your money would be the Boston RX47. You may be able to go larger in speaker size but as I recall from the last time I did one of these it will require you to alter the front speaker location...The 4" speakers did sound good in this application.

Which alpine amps are you using for this set up? Let me know what you are using and I'll give you an idea of what to look for as far as the sub goes....

Old 11-15-2008, 02:00 PM

the 4X6 sound improvement over the factory is about the same, but you will have better upper midrange sound. with 4x6 you're reallyat a disadvantage to begin with. the 4" would probably be a good idea as mentioned. Personally the only thing that i have done in that vehicle is a kick panel midrange and a dash mounted tweeter. the drivers side is mounted utilizing a wing screw and some velcro, so you can remove it to gain access to your motor... which is rare... and definately is worth it for a better sound.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:16 PM

One other suggestion , if you want nice sound and would like to get a bit creative , the door panel in the 87' has alot of surface area , I have seen a few owners build a fiberglass pod that attaches to door and doesnt require cutting anything. And believe it or not its not very hard to do! With a little instruction you could complete your install in about 6 hours and end up with a super cool custom look and you will be able to put any size speaker you want in the car. If you want a little instruction just let me know and I will post a " how to " build a fiberglass speaker pod on this thread. And hopefully a few people can learn this easy and funcraft. Thanks

Old 01-16-2011, 07:48 PM

i have those speakers, they are ok, you can do better