Notices
Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here...

speaker sizes

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Default speaker sizes

Hello. I am wondering what sizes the speakers are in the 1999 996. I bought the car used and the dash speakers are blown the door speakers dont sound too great either and the rear speakers are alright but i still want to change them. I took off the grills and noticed that the speakers mount in a unique way...have any of you changed your speakers? If so how did you mount them to the grills and what type of speaker did you use. thanks

Old 07-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Default RE: speaker sizes

I had mine replaced with 3 way components tweeter and 4" in the dash and a 6.5" woofer in the doors. You can call the guy that did mine about how they mount them. SR Audio 908-437-0222 His name is Shaun

Old 08-04-2007, 02:25 PM

ehren_henderson

Congrats on your new car. Wish for you a GREAT experience with it. Speakers size?. I own a 99 also and found it tough to find this info available via the web. Today I found this out and thought i would share. Appears that the factory component system has this make up. In the doors would lie a 5.25" woofer. In the teardrop enclosures you find in the front and back you have a make up of a 4.5" Mid Range beside the 1" tweeter. I cannot point you off in any real direction at this point since i have not changed mine out either. But I will at some point. Factory system is not up to par for the CAR.You would have to evaluate any replacement part you would be trying to incorporate into the exiting location via all three measurements. Brings the depth factor into the picture. I saw where one had two way speakers installed into the locations going away from a component/crossover environment. Safe to safe it will take a bit of creativity on your part but i am sure you can do it if you focus on it. hope this helps.

As a last note, Since the parts for these cars are not the cheapest in the world and I was blessed enough to find a dealer / website that sells OEM at dealer costplus 15%. Cannot get much better than that for these cars. hope it might help you as this relates to getting the 1999 back into tip top shape.
http://www.sunsetimports.com/porscheparts.php

Old 11-11-2007, 03:30 PM

Howdy, I have the same , and I have opted to add a 10"subwoofer in the passenger footwell area. ( I am also considering designing a driver and pass. seat enclosure, which would fit the backs of the seats, still in the Hmm? stage, though. The newer cars have a "center" speaker in the dash/windscreen area too.
I am presently looking at Focals and MB Quarts. Check out "Car Audio", "Dub" etcpast issues as Porsches have been featured ( do a search) I have a lot of experience with aftermarket systems and realize this is a convertible so spending too much would be wasted. Ambient road noises etc. But having a nifty cd/dvd/ipod unit with gps is a must!!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:25 AM

I have done many of these vehicles, though the door is 51/4 you can easily masage a 6 1/2 " midbass in there, the dash are a 4" component, meaning 4" midrange and a tweeter. in the dash. Just amplify the dash and doors seperately, even with a 3 way crossover it needs more fine tuning for some impact. Also the tweeters really need to be a soft dome, metal is fine, but personal preference is a silk dome tweeter. Also they need to be adjustable because of the windshield glass above the tweeter really affects the sound. Jl audio and their ZR components is a great start, or even some Hertz speakers. MB Quart is not even the same anymore, don't waste your time.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:38 AM

According to me you should buy speakers which are famous in the market and provide a powerful impact on your ears. After reading all information posted on this post I must say now it will be quite easy for you to buy this thing from your market as you have now enough suggestions.