Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

911t or 911s

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Default 911t or 911s

I just bought a 1969 911...the car has been modified with a wide body kit and tail I strongly believe, the color has definately been changed...the question I have, is the model...a T or an S...the plate on the front trunk crossmember say 911s..this number matches the number inside stamped into the metal in the front trunk...on the the face of the dash is the emblem 911t which is also on the registration...How do I know if this car is actually a T or an S?...also, is there a way to verify the year of car? Hopefully someone can help...other questions to follow...Thanks....Laurence

Old 05-11-2010, 01:57 PM

I suspect you may not have an easy way to find out, or in fact have an simple answer. There are a few 911s of this vintage running around that are of very "mixed" heritage, having been kept running over the past four decades by the artful and creative use of parts that will fit. Its somewhat likely that the engine is not original (maybe not even a 1969 version, but from slightly later, or less likely, earlier), and that the car is a composite of mixed T, S and E. There is even a possiblity that the car is neither an S or a T but actually the E model (I think all three models were available in '69, I know the S was not a year or two earlier) but with S and T parts grafted on over the years.

Your best bet is to seek out a shop with someone really experienced in late 60s 911-912 cars and ask them to try to determine the lineage of its various parts. As to what the car really is - I'd say go with what the serial number of the title says it is: it is often possible to map the serial # to the model type -- if it was an S when i left the factory then it is, in some sense, still an S, etc.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:26 PM

Hey Lee....thanks for your response....now the funny part, call me and idiot...where I typed in s in my post, I should have type in e...duh, I hopefully will be ok...lol...I have done some checking on the serial #, and have found it to be "e" at this point...now the question is how do I find out if the engine is from this car?...still the 911t emblem and the glove box door is puzzling...any way, all jokes about my ignorance are welcome...LOL....thanks for your insight...any suggestions on finding out the history of the motor...previous owner does not have much info....thanks....Laurence

Old 05-12-2010, 02:12 PM

I'm not enough of an expert on early 911s to really know for sure. I imagine with some asking and seraching you can find a shop with someone -- hopefully an old timer with a name like Hans or Gunter and a thick german accent -- who knows every nook and cranny of the first generation 911s. As to the engine #, I expect the Porsche Club of America might have a book, list, or something, but frankly I'm not sure.