Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

Carrera Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Post Carrera Question

I will shortly be in the market for a Carrera Cabriolet. I am looking at a previously owned 2007 or 2008. This will be my first Porsche. The question I have is, I guess, a matter of opinion, but I am interested in all perspectives. I am tossed up on whether to purchase a base Carrera or the S model. Is there an appreciable difference in performance? Are there other things to consider besides the additional horsepower?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:50 PM

Sort surprised no one else has replied, but then maybe like me they've been away for the holidays.

The additional HP in the S is very noticeable - frankly, each of the 35 or so extra horses seem to me to be much larger than any of the 320 or so they add to. The engine is also a bit torqueier and despite the fact that the base Carrera is a powerful car, a lack of sufficient low end torque (some would say the amount I want is really "excessive" not just sufficient, but . . . ) was what I most disliked about my Carrera, and the S isn't that much better there: I drove a new S model before deciding on my current Aston and the S, although very powerful, felt like a small displacement, high reving engined car.
Some people will say the S engine is a better built engine than the base Carrera engine, but I had no problems with a base Carrera in four years, and have heard few complaints from other owners: but no doubt, the S is at least as robust and well designed the base Carrera engine.
On the negative side, the S costs more, and is just a tad heavier and thirtier (although neither difference is enough to matter), but if you get the 4S, a lot heavier and much more complicated (more stuff to go wrong), although the 4 wheel power makes for better handling all the time, not just in bad weather. And you can also argue about whether you really need the additional power - a standard Carrera is as fast a car as one really would ever need and in daily driving I doubt you would ever tell the difference, but you'd know, so if just having the faster model matters, buy it.

Last edited by Lee Willis; 12-30-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Default re; purchase of a carrera

Thanks for the info - I had the same question. Hard to get a good feeling if the extra HP or 4 wheel drive is that much of a difference. please post when you make that purchase.