Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

If you had $15K to spend...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:23 AM
Default If you had $15K to spend...

I'm in the market for a Porsche, but I have a limited budget of just $15,000. I know the answer to this question is very subjective and everyone will have their own opinions, but that's what I am looking for... opinions.

If you were looking for a used Porsche for $15K max would you go for modern performance and pick up, say, an early Boxster? Or go vintage and buy a nice condition 912, or a less nice 911 that you could work on and improve? Or maybe an 80's-era 911, a blend of modern performance with a retro look?

I'm inclined to go vintage personally, but 911 or 912? But I'm also thinking that maybe a 40 year old car might be more trouble than it's worth? A late 90s or early 2000s Boxster could certainly be fun. I'm looking for a fun daily driver (16 mile round-trip commute) as well as something I can take out on the curvy back roads on the weekends.

Everyone and anyone's thoughts and opinions are welcome!

Thanks,
Brian

Old 06-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmm, well Porsche and limited budget are always tough. I am going to make my answer based on say, 15k total which includes purchase price and cushion for repairs:

Now the key here is finding a car that is in as best of shape as possible, as a neglected car, no matter the model, will sink you financially.

944S2: At 15k, you can either pick up a coupe or a cab and have plenty of money left over for necessary repairs. The 3.0L engine has torque at nearly all RPM's, and they are a blast around town.

968: Same thing, coupe or cab. A step up from the S2. The 968's have been fortunate enough to escape the cheap-asses who can buy a car and can't afford the maintenance. Production numbers were less which kept the prices up a little bit so most of them are in pretty good shape still.

Early Boxster: Keep in mind you really need to do the IMS repair if it hasn't been done, which will run a couple thousand. You can pick a car up under 10, and put a couple thousand into preventative maintenance and still be under 15k. Over all I think they are reliable cars, but the IMS issue is known and though low risk of failure, the upgrade should be done.

I am really leary about telling people to buy early 911's for daily drivers. They are as you said 40 years old, they don't stop as well, have less crash safety, and mechanically are more difficult to keep running IMHO. They really aren't a just add gas and oil type of car IMHO. The parts supply is also dwindling for those cars, which of course drives up prices. I just don't think you can own a 911 with a mid teens budget. Sure you can buy one for less than that, but keeping it going is a different story.

Either way, remember that proper maintenance of any of the cars isn't like a Honda. They do cost more. With the value of the dollar in the crapper, the german parts have really gone up in price over the last 2 years.

Last edited by PorscheDoc; 06-29-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:03 PM

I have seen LOADS of early to mid 80's 911's go for around 15k, most needing little, if any restoration.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:49 PM

A mid 80s 911 in the 15K range will be a totally different exeprience than a 944 or 968. Overall, I agree entirely with PoescheDoc. The problem with the 911s is that buying one in even reasonable shape will take every bit of $15K, and require more maintenance and they cost ALOT more to keep in shape over the long run. You can buy a good 944 S or a 968 and have a lot of money left over to put it in tip top mechanical shape, fix anything major with the cosmetics, and set aside a bit for the next big repair bill. It will be a fun car to drive and safe and durable, too. The 911, on the other hand will cost about half again to twice as much for the same overall condition