Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

Porsche Effect on Other Drivers???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 06:49 PM
Default RE: Porsche Effect on Other Drivers???

We've only got an 8th strip out here. I'm hoping to take mine out next season and I'm expecting to run 9's or so. Mine won't beat an 04 Mustang GT but it'll hang with one. My friend has the 04 and we've played around with both cars but he loves my 944, maybe more than I do. After driving the 944 for a few months I just can't stand how high up the driver sits in the mustangs. I know you don't sit up that high but the 944 sits you on the ground.

As far as the aggression from other drivers I've experienced it a little, mostly from the young street racer crouds. However I think its funny that there's 3 Porsches in this town (not including the boxsters) and anytime we run into each other its like we're in a club. We'll just talk for hours. I ran into a Capt the other day with a new 911 and I was in my 944 and we talked for about an hour. He asked if I was going to upgrade to a 911 and I told him his car was my wet dream. I'm still low ranking, there's no way I can afford something like that. He said he gets people being rude to him all the time around town. I think its wierd.

My biggest problem is that people see me driving a porsche (granted a 944) and they all think I'm rich. I'm just barely clearing 20K a year and everyone wants to bum money. Its nuts that these people that act that way are driving $40K SUV's but I paid 2500 for my car. Wierd huh? Do you guys get that?

Old 10-31-2005, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

My biggest problem is that people see me driving a porsche (granted a 944) and they all think I'm rich. I'm just barely clearing 20K a year and everyone wants to bum money. Its nuts that these people that act that way are driving $40K SUV's but I paid 2500 for my car. Wierd huh? Do you guys get that?
Yes, I get this also. Everyone at my works thinks I'm loaded. When the subject of money comes up, they always mention that I must be rich as I drive a Porsche, (even though they are on the same wage as me) then when we are discussing cars, they all say that it ain't a real Porsche, it's just a V.W. with a Porsche badge!

You can't win, eh?
[sm=devilgrin.gif] Happy Hallowe'en!!

Old 10-31-2005, 10:58 AM

Funny you mention the " . . .must be rich" bit. I was parked waiting for my wife yesterday and a nicely dressed if matronly looking lady stopped and looked at the car admiringly and then leaned toward the open window and said, "Excuse me, what breed of car is this?" (Yes, "breed"). I replied it was a Porsche. She nodded and said, "That means you must have lots of money." I replied, "No ma'am, it only means I had money before I bought it."

As to the 944 not being a real Porsche, I suppose there are those who say anything since 1964 that isn't a 911 isn't a Porsche, and I understand their perspective. But its as real a Porsche as a 929 or a 914 or a Cayman or a Cayenne, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 10-31-2005, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

I replied, "No ma'am, it only means I had money before I bought it."
Lolthats good, will have to remember that....

Old 10-31-2005, 06:40 PM

totally agree with you had folk swear at me ....... but also got to say had so many people especially young boys.........eeeck !!!! say how much the love my car. think you just need to blast the rude ones at the lights. i've a 964 1990 you dont know anything about differential ....had probs with my car shuttering if it goes over bumps????

Old 11-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Administrator

thats the best quote ever lee...

Old 11-06-2005, 03:34 PM

LOL... people cut me off on the LA freeways all the time. But when I drive my mercedes I don't seem to have that probelm... what does that tell you!

Old 11-07-2005, 01:04 PM

This is really an interesting discussion. I haven't had quite as much of this aggressiveness from other drivers, but that is probably because my car is a bit older and frankly it ks a little faded and l winters up here, etc. I need to get in painted and polished and the wheels fixed up and I gave a couple of gravel dings on the nose-I've never let the mechanical slip but it doesn't look that good.

It might be the people image instead of the car. Porsche definately has an image, and while part of it is money (great comment about "It only means I had money!") but part is people expect us to all be effect snobs.so maybe it is more a reaction to what they expect of the driver than jealously about the car.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:10 PM

well I think it is a little bit of both! here is why I see it that way...

a Restored MB 380SL : people pull up to me check it out and smile no bad reactions
1997 E320: going along my day just fine and dandy
2003 E320: NO racing , but people do still cut me off somethimes
C2 Cab: Everybody wants to kill me

Old 11-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Administrator

well, drivers like that in general need an ace whoopin...[:@]

Quick Reply: Porsche Effect on Other Drivers???