Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

Porsche World Roadshow

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Default Porsche World Roadshow

Hi, this is my first post here.
Yesterday I was unexpectedly invited to take part in the "Porsche World Roadshow". My darling sister in law, that works for a Porsche dealer had one of her guests call off, and needed a replacement. I hate to disappoint my sister in law . Obviously I took my camera, and in between driving all these fantastic cars, I tried to take a few worthwhile pictures.
I drove the Cayenne Turbo both off road and on the banked corner oval. And although it's probably the only car that can both handle itself so competently in the mud, and at well over 200kph on the track, I don't care much for SUV's and the like, and the Cayenne is no exception.
All the other models are truly fantastic. If I prefer one model to another you have to understand that all of them are a lot better then almost any other car I've ever driven.
There are two cars that I preferred to the others.
The red Carrera in the picture was a specially tuned example, apparently to 380bhp. This was the hardest accelerating car of all (no Turbo's or GT's present), and on the straights (between 150-210km/hr) it gained speed clearly quicker then the others. Like all the others it gave great confidence, but felt just a little more 'active' which I like.
But I guess my favourite car here was the Cayman S. Not quite as fast as the Carrera's, but very nimble and perfectly balanced. With the PSM switched on, I could go faster around the small slalom circuit then I would have believed possible when boarding the car. Also the engine sound was just a bit more exiting. Unfortunately the Cayman that we used for our timed car handling test was an automatic, I would have preferred the hand shift version that we got to drive on the oval later on.
During lunch a new 997 version was introduced, and according to the Dutch Porsche people this was the first time the car was shown publicly. Apparently not even the press has seen it in real life.
I'm not a Porsche owner (although I like cars, and more particularly 'driver's cars') but who knows? In a few year time, maybe a lightly used Cayman S could be the perfect car for me.
Hope you like the pictures, and if you'd like to see a full resolution original, don't hesitate to ask.
Click on that gorgeous Carrera for the other pictures: