Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

potential Porsche newbie needs wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Default potential Porsche newbie needs wisdom

Hello all;

I am considering my first Porsche but am pretty Porsche-dumb. I've driven Miatas and Z3's for the last 7 years. The Miata is the most fun I've had driving, with the possible exception of a brief test drive in a 2006 Boxster S! What I know is my budget. I know that IF I can get into a Porsche, it'll be a used Boxster most likely as that is the most affordable purchase. What I DON'T know is if I can afford to OWN a Porsche.Are maintenance and repair costs as horrifying as I've heard? Is there a particular year or model (excluding 944, 928 and 914) that a. I can afford to buy and b. is reliable and pretty bulletproof, with infrequent and reasonable repair/maintenance costs? I know it's all relative, as to what is "reasonable." Just assume I'm looking to not go substantially deeper into my bank account to own a Boxster than I have owning my Miatas. Also, how do Porsches fare when you're looking at high mileage vehicles(100K+)? I'm seeing Boxsters with 122K, 112K miles going for $13K or so, in the 1997-1999 range in my neighborhood...worth considering? I also see the occasioinal older 911 or 912 within my budget...IF they won't break the bank after purchase. Just saw a decent sounding 912 for $10K. Thank you in advance for any help, guidance, experience you can share with me.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: potential Porsche newbie needs wisdom

ORIGINAL: drmitch

Hello all;

What I know is my budget. I know that IF I can get into a Porsche, it'll be a used Boxster most likely as that is the most affordable purchase. What I DON'T know is if I can afford to OWN a Porsche.
That is a statement that everyone should think of when buying a porsche. Sure you can afford to purchase a car (probably used in this case), but can you afford the maintenance to keep that used car running. A Porsche requires just as much maintenance as an ford, chevy, dodge, etc. They all need brakes at a certain point, tune ups, etc. With a Porsche, the cost of those parts and labor is substantially higher than a domestic or Japanese vehicle. A full brake job will run you in the neighborhood of $1500. Boxsters are typically a very trouble free car, but have had some issues that can occur that cost thousands to repair. For instance, the early boxsters (97-99) were prone to a few major issues: Catastrophic engine failure (intermediate shaft failure, or slipped cylinder lining), rear main seal leak, and convertible top failure. While these occurances are VERY low of happening, could you afford to fix them if they did fail? A engine will run about 10k to replace, rear main seal with clutch about $2500, and a convertible top failure about $3-4k.

What I can definitely tell you, is to stay away from the old cars unless A: You don't need it as a primary vehicle, and B: You like to work on your own cars. Because that is the only way you can afford to keep them on the road.

You can pick up used boxsters in the mid teens now, but they are usually pretty ragged out and will need a bit of work to make them completely road worthy.

My advice, save until you can afford to buy the car outright, and then have a budget for monthly or yearly maintenance costs (plan for at least a few thousand a year....you may never get that high each year, but you should have it in reserves if you need it).

Old 09-14-2007, 12:05 PM

Why would you exclude the 914? After driving a Miada you may find that the 914 is a really great car. The 914 can be all the Porsche you would ever want, handles great and can have as much power as you can afford. You can get into a fixer upper for around 1-5 grand or a looker for about 10-20 grand. Drive one and you will see what I am talking about. There are alot of new Porsche owners the have not been around for long and made of money that will try to tell you a 914 is not really a Porsche, but Dr.Porsche drove one himself that must say something. If you do not beleave me go and talk to some 914 owners that have moved up to the 911 series (premier Porsche) or talk to some 1970s mechanics and/or weekend racers. Most will say if they owned a 914 that it was their favorite Porsche and they should have never gotten rid of it. As you become more financially well endowed you will want to move up to the 911s just to say you can. The 930 turbo in my opinion is by far the best of the best when it comes to the 911 seriers.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4860/933A4426AA734728A333476273B29CFD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-30-2007, 02:59 PM

hello drmitch. , i own a 1985 3.2 carrera and have done since 2000 ,it never fails to stop me in my tracks every time that i open the garage door i stand there and can not believe that this beautiful piece of machinery belongs to me thats how i feel about my 911. anyway a new caliper cost me £120 that i fitted. and a clutch and flywheel £850 that was fitted by R.L.R. to which one of the mechanics mentioned the words, bullet proof engines, hope this helps my friend.