Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

911 1974

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Default 911 1974

Hi, I am new to this site so I am not sure how many people are in these forums. But! I do have a problem with my 911 1974. I can not get the thing to start at all.

The car stopped running about 3 years ago, so it may just need a lot of fresh gas or something...I have put detergent in there to keep it good. I forgot what product I used, but it was all red including the liquid.

When I turn the key, it cranks but the engine does not turn all the way.

I have tested many areas and still came up with nothing. The list of things I have tried are :

A) I have checked the fuel injectors, and seem reasonably clean (though i would like to clean them...and good suggestions?)
B) I have tested the solenoid coil and that checks out.
C) Battery
D) Oil
E) It has gas
F) Tested the fuel filter and that seems fine too. I have been told to just blow air in it and seems to be pretty tough to blow in it. Since I don't have a air compressor I cleaned the area and blew into it. Not sure if that is normal for the filter to be somewhat rough to blow through if doing it by lung power. If that isn't normal let me know.

I would like to test the spark plugs but they are damn impossible to get at and was wondering if there is a trick in getting them out easier because me shoving a ratchet down there aimlessly seems to me would eventually hurt the car.

Also, I assume when I put the fuel filter on and try to start the car again would be a way to test the fuel pump to see if it is working, so I will try that and see if gas goes in there.

Any tips on diagnosing this problem would be great and valuable information to me!

Thank you in advance!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 PM

Well, first of all, what do you mean by "it does not turn all the way" will the engine turn over with the starter but just not start? Or do you mean it refuses to turn fully, like it is jammed or binding or the clutch is not fully dis-engaged?

Old 11-10-2009, 02:11 AM

Yes, the engine turns with the starter but does not start at all. Sorry about the confusion. I am somewhat new to explaining this kind of stuff. Basically, (will try to explain this a little better) I put the key in and turn it all the way, the engine tries to start, but does not fire all the way. I do hear the engine crank, but does not get to the point where it would stay on to drive.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

When you turn the key on, can you here the fuel pump buzzing?

Old 11-10-2009, 02:33 PM

Yes, I can hear the fuel pump buzzing. I'm pretty sure it is still in working condition.