Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

996 C4 stalls on grid... dead...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Default 996 C4 stalls on grid... dead...?

I just got back from the second day of my first ever performance drivers ed event in Kershaw, SC. I had three sessions yesterday, and two this morning. My 1999 C4 ran beautifully. On my third session, my instructor and I pulled up on grid in from of the pit lane, I stopped, and my car seemed to stall. It just died and we couldn't get it restarted.

Nick, from NRG Motorsports in Jacksonville, FL (a Porsche Cup mechanic), and his crew came to the rescue to look the car over. I was showing a quarter tank of gas, but my oil was a little low. We added a couple of quarts to no effect.

Nick thought the computer might need to be reset, so he disconnected the battery for a few minutes, reconnected, and tried again... the car still wouldn't crank, but suddenly the fuel gauge was showing completely empty, which is what it was sounding like, so it seemed to make sense... we added five gallons of gas, and tried again... nothing.

We disconnected the battery again and reconnected after a few minutes. Now the speedometer has been reset to KM/H, the mileage is reading 9999999, and the oils sensor is counting down from 10 minutes for a reading. During all the testing, the power gauge dropped below 12 volts (?), so just to rule it out we tried to jump it... nothing.

The strange thing is that the car is turning over a few times and is trying to start but just can't quite get there. The car had been sitting for a couple of hours between sessions and wasn't running overly hot while driving, but it was over 90 degrees farenheit out and very very humid. Is it possible my car could have vapor locked??? What's up with the dash readings now?

I've only had the car for about two months. In that time I have had it gone over top to bottom, flushed ALL fluids, added new tires, and a short shift kit. About two weeks ago, in every day traffic, I lost power. My mechanic said the alternator was shot, so I replaced the battery and had him recheck before replacing the alternator. Besides that one incident it has run beautifully! I drove it from Buffalo, NY (where I bought it) to Charlotte, NC (my home) and pushed it very hard, and had no problems. I also had zero problems or warnings on the track before this "stall"on grid.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm really concerned about this!!!