Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

fumes inside the car

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Default fumes inside the car

I was trying to take delivery on a 1990 carrera 2 on Friday, but I still have one maybe two unresolved issues. We got the heater to stop blowing constantly, but there is still a slight flow of warm air comming from under the dash. The flow increases when I put a window down, or open the sun roof. After about 10-15 minutes of driving the air comming from under the dash has a smell that is either exhaust, or possibly oil drip on to a hot surface. When I looked under the car with the cover removed there is a fair amount of oil residue on the right side of the under side of motor. There is also oil/dirt build up at the inside front of the right rear wheel well.
The car was parked in my garage for about 10 hours and there were 2 drops of oil directly under the front edge of the right rear wheel well. The left side seems to be very clean. Also after driving you can smell the same smell if you walk aroud to the back of the car. This leads me to believe there is oil getting on the exhaust.

From what I hear the air cooled engines are prone to small oil leaks, but the fact that I am getting fumes in the cab of the car raises concerns for me. Does this sound like an exhaust leak or an oil leak getting on the exhaust, and how would the fumes get inside the vehichle. Could the heater box in the engine compartment be part of the problem.

I am getting really frustrated with this issue and I am about ready to walk away from the deal. I love the car and would rather see these issues resolved.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Ken Casey

Old 03-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Default RE: fumes inside the car

If I were you, I would take the car to a Porsche mechanic and get it up on a lift. You could then probably get a better idea of what is causing the problem. Perhaps you could get the seller to pay for this? I would [sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 03-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Default RE: fumes inside the car

Good News..... All issues resolved and I took delivery last Friday 3-24-06. The fumes and heater problems all stemed from cracks in the flexable heater hoses. The oil leak was seepage from the hoses that are located in the top of the right rear wheel well. All these are a result of a 16 year old vehichle, and I am very happy to get them resolved.

The weather was beautiful this past weekend and finally got to do some real cruising. I had ridden in some Porsches and driven a couple before, but never enough seat time to get comfortable. The past weekend was absolutly awsome! The car runs and handles like nothing I have ever experienced before, and was way above my expectations. I have owned sports cars in the past ( 25 years ago) MGB, and a Triumph, but this is a new and wonderful experience.

It just seems like everyone on the road wants to race or show what they got. I obliged one kid in a Honda with modified exhaust that would follow on my bumper for a while, then run up beside me and hang there, and then run out ahead at about 90 only to fall back and again ride my bumper. After three times I got real tired of this act and when he came up beside me again I just stayed with him when he tried to go past. At about 95 for maybe 30 seconds I went down to fourth gear and the rest as they say is history.
About 15 miles up the road I was stopped at a gas station and here he comes. When he got out of his car all he said was "How fast will that thing go?" My response was "I dont know because I haven't tried to find out yet."

1990 Carrera 2