Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

how can i get to the engine bay in my 99 boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Default how can i get to the engine bay in my 99 boxster?

i havent looked alot yet, but i heard i cant really work on this car by myself, just wanted to know if that was true and if anyone knows how to actually get to the engine?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Open the convertible top until it retracts about 2 inches from the windshield. Get out, remove the cable on each side of the top (rear), it is just a ball and socket and will pop off the lower ball joint. Unclip the rear fabric piece by pushing down on it. Once all that is loose, carefully fold the rear of the top forward. Remove the cubby and carpet by twisting the black clips 90 degrees. If you have the bose speaker box, then unclip the electrical connection on the passenger side first. Once that is out of the way, turn the 5 clips 90 degrees or so on the black cover underneath and there is the engine. Sounds like a lot, but in reality takes about 30 seconds to get to the top of the engine bay.

To get to the front of the engine, push the seats all the way foward and recline them forward. After removing the carpet from the previous step, you will see the top of the front carpet section (piece that is behind the seats), there are 4 plastic nuts holding the carpet in place on the top. Remove those and you can pull the carpet out. Then you are looking at a metal panel with about 10 10mm nuts/bolts. Remove those to access the front of the engine. NOTE: The edges of the front cover are EXTREMELY SHARP, so remove and install with care. I have gashed fingers open more times than I care to count on that stupid cover when in a hurry.

Last edited by PorscheDoc; 11-02-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:12 PM

thanks a million im going to go out and give it a try! ill get back to you after i try it and see if i did it right.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:09 PM

how hard is to do maintenance work myself. I have a 3 series and do all the work myself.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:21 PM

Its not bad if you have a lift, otherwise it is a pain at times.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:43 PM

It is not even an easy task to get engine of an old car from market but this is good that you have decided to give a try to this process. I will suggest you to search in Online stores. There are number of online stores which are providing this set of service to their customers in easy rates without any delivery charge.