Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

maf problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Default maf problem

99 boxster, cel codes 1128 1130, car was running fine but i decided to get ambitious today. cleaned maf with maf cleaner and replaced. can no longer keep engine running. tried unplugging sensor, still can't keep enging running. this is my only car. is there a work around or bypass to be able to drive till i can get replacement maf?

Old 05-10-2007, 05:57 AM
Default RE: maf problem

It would be highly coincidental if the sensor gave up at the exact time you cleaned it. Firstly, you did remove it from the duct to clean it, right? Those codes are an overly rich condition. My guess is that there is some cleaner still on the sensor. I believe the sensor measures flow by the hot wire method by which it tries to keep the wire at a constant temperature by heating it. When large amounts of air are flowing through the MAF, it takes a lot of heater current to maintain temperature. In a similar way, it would take a huge amount of current to maintain temperature on a wet sensor. The DME would interpret the condition as an enormous amount of air flowing through the engine (like full throttle, full load) and in an effort to keep the mixture correct, would add a lot of fuel. Thus the overrich condition.

Bottom line.... try removing the MAF again and gently drying it with compressed air. If this happened a day ago, it may well have cured itself by now just from naturally drying. Post a follow up & tell if this was it.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:17 AM

no luck. stalls right out. i guess i have to see if anyone local has on at a reasonable price.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Are you sure you don't have an intake tube disconnected?

Old 05-10-2007, 08:39 AM

yes. other than the air filter, i haven't touched anything else. could i have severly damaged it buy running a q-tip with maf cleaner over the parts? i didn't disrupt anything, i'm a jeweler and have great hands.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

You shouldn't ever touch the maf components at all, even with a q tip....they are very fragile/sensitive. Simply spray the maf cleaner on the sensor, and let it air dry. It is also imperitive that you don't every used compressed air to dry it (such as from an air compressor).

I would double check to make sure the intake tube didn't pop off the throttle body or something. It just sounds like you have a massive intake leak. You should be able to unplug the maf completely and run the car at idle.

Also, the sensor is directional, and must be orientated in the proper way.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:28 AM

got it to idle and warm up with sensor unplugged. still stalls when i try to drive. guess i'll order the part online and hope for the best. how long do these normally last. i bought the car w/ 30k miles on it, and now have 40k

Old 05-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

We see them go out quite frequently. 30k miles on a maf is a good lifespan with the design it has.

Did you double check to make sure the sensor is orientated in the correction direction? There is an arrow on it that shows the way the air should flow. The mouth should face towards the airfilter.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:10 AM

yes, the orientation is correct. i was going to need one in the near future anyway. it's not like i ruined something that was meant to last forever. thanks for the help.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:08 PM

btw, once i get the new maf, is there anything to reset on the car other than clearing the check engine light?