Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

manual steering vs power steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Default manual steering vs power steering

hi ^^ i am new to the forums and new to owing a 86 porsche 944. when i bought the car about a month ago the power steering pump was hanging from the holder by zip ties and i fix it but it broke again, and while looking for the part that broke i found out that porsche944online.com was selling a full manual steering conversion for the car. i havent really found much info on telling me what is the difference between the two so i was wondering if you guys can help me out by telling me what is the pros and cons between the two and if i should change my 944's ps to ms. thanks

Old 08-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: manual steering vs power steering

The manual steering will be harder to turn in and out of parking spots, but once you get going past 10mph or so, you dont really notice that it is not power assisted. It probably will not be as hard to turn as powersteering that has lost its pump, as in your case. For the 86, all you need is the rack and the steering shaft, you can use your existing tie rods if they are in decent shape. As far as driving, manual feels fine. A lot of guys do the conversion because they can find a manual rack cheap at a junkyard, and just swap that and the shaft and have a cheap fix, as a rebuilt power steering rack costs about 300 bucks. That and the track guys like to get as much weight as possible out of the car, so by going manual, you can loose the extra weight from the rack, pump, reservoir, and the lines.

Old 08-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Default RE: manual steering vs power steering

thanks for the info i will take it in to see how bad it is before i decied to go ms or ps again but yeah its only during parking that it is hard to move the steering wheel but other than that it is fine. well thanks again for the info porsche doc ^^