Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 02:44 AM
Default Newbie Questions

Hi....I have just purchased a 1986 944 here in Australia, right hand drive

The switches and dials are quite old and no longer have the icons...I am desperate to find out the functionality of some of the switches, particularly the 4 switches which sit just in front the gear shift...one on the far right is the sunroof, and the far left has a key icon and a RED led LIGHT; WHAT IS THIS SWITCH FOR AS IT DOESNT SEEM TO LOCK OR IUNLOCK ANYTHING?

also, I am bemused as to the purpose of the two centre switches, as well as one of the switches on the side of the driver's seat....the front switch on the side of the seat is obviously to tilt the driver's seat in a rockinglike motion, to tilt it for comfort, however the rear switch next to it seems to not work, can someone please tell me what this switch is for please?

And there is a switch with what looks like a snowflake on the dash, it seems to make a strange noise when i switch it on yet no air seems to blow in from anywhere...

I have ordered a driver's manual from Porsche Australia, but I would love to know the purpose of some of these switches so that I can enjoy my new toy...

Sorry for the multitude of questions, and thank you in advance if you can answer some of my questions

Tone

Old 01-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Newbie Questions

Hi Tone and welcome to the forum.

Presuming you have the later (oval) style dashboard model, the switch with the key symbol on it is the central locking switch and should lock/unlock both doors with the ignition key in position 1 & 2, but should only lock the doors without the ignition switched on.

The other switches are for (if fitted) electric sunroof, electric door mirrors, rear wiper & headlight beam regulator.

As for the seat switch, I again presume that you have the seats with just 2 switches? The front one raises and lowers the front part of the seat and the rear switch raises and lowers the rear part of the seat.

The switch with the snowflake on it is for the air conditioning.

i hope this helps you until you get the manual.

Have you any pic's of your 944 to post in the gallery?

Old 01-21-2007, 02:04 PM

the switch with the snowflake controls the ac compressor, but I'm not sure why it is making noises, let me know what this is.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:09 PM

thanks Tigger , sounds like I have a few minor repairs to get moving

I appreciate the help, and I will have to get out there and take some happy snaps for the gallery...no doubt they will include shots of my big cheesy grin...i still feel like I am drinking from somebody elses expensive crystal, but that will pass soon enough and I will really test her out on the highway....much thanks again

pics to come