Notices
Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here...

muffler question.. any help appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Default muffler question.. any help appreciated!

Hey guys. Found this site using a google search and looks to be a great site! I just picked up a 2001 Porsche 911 in Miami on Saturday and drove it back to Charlotte NC. I have owned 4 Corvettes and didn't think I would be able to find a car that lived up to the standards the vettes had set. I must say though.. that i am loving the Porsche.
The one issue the car does have is the left muffler is making a horrible noise. I had it checked out at a local muffler shop today and they said the inside of the muffler was busted. They couldn't order a replacement as they said they didn't have any universal mufflers that would fit. I called Porsche and wasn't too happy with the $500 price tag for the muffler. I did some research and found some universal mufflers and or flowmasters that were around $100 a piece. It says they will fit my model 911 but the pictures of them look nothing like the stock muffler. They all have an inlet and outlet on opposing ends and from what i can tell the stock is nothing like that... . anyone had this issue before? Will a universal muffler with a different inlet and outlet etc, work ?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: muffler question.. any help appreciated!

I would search ebay for a set of used mufflers. They can be had for less than 50 bucks. Typically i throw them in the garbage when we upgrade to aftermarket mufflers for customers.

THe cans will indeed come apart on the inside (The baffling comes loose).

Old 05-28-2008, 11:52 PM

Hello! I have a 2001 Twin Turbo 996 with the quiet stock exhaust system. Is there any quick inexpensive way to improve the exhaust sound? Can I simply remove the Catalyctic Converter? or replace the muffler with a fabricated free flow type? I want the car to sound as fast as it is, without spending the big bucks for a Tubi System and such.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

With the stock muffler there isn't a whole lot you can do. The cats have to stay (they are welded into the muffler anyway) as the car will throw a CEL without them. Quite some time ago there were guys cutting the exhausts open and removing some baffling or something to that effect, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that for a long time. I have seen some used Fabspeed Gen 3 exhausts come up for sale already on some of the other boards in the 2500 range. Well worth it. With high flow cats, those cans will put up about 35-40hp over the stock muffler and loose quite a bit of weight at the same time.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:51 AM

Also take a look at some of the Supersprint products. Regards Big Bob

Old 08-21-2008, 12:29 AM

with exhaust there are a lot of options depending on sound vs performance i would recomend serching premade kits unless you have a shop around that specializes with high end cars and can do manderal bends and if you are looking to get rid of your cats i would look for a test pipe and post o2 sensor resistors it is highly illegal to drive on the street that way and the fines are heavy so i would think twice befor doing it